RIVERSIDE MILL TO SOUTH OF ESHOLT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133152

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE MILL TO SOUTH OF ESHOLT HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVERSIDE MILL TO SOUTH OF ESHOLT HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 23:04:08.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE MILL TO SOUTH OF ESHOLT HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 18852 39564

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 ESHOLT ESTATE Lower Esholt

Riverside Mill to south of Esholt

Hall SE 1839 15/40E

II

2. Records of a mill on this site antedate the building of the hall and associate it with Esholt Priory, probably as a fulling mill. When the hall was built over the remains of the Priory in 1706-7 it would appear that the mill was rebuilt as a single- storey L plan structure against the bank and with a wing on 2 low arches over the goit. The architectural dressing of doors and windows indicate that the building was adapted as a feature of the park, the eastern block with its 3 rooms and fireplace as a summer house or gazebo and the south-west wing (at present filled with rubble) over the goit possibly serving as a bath house. The construction is of coursed gritstone with rusticated ashlar quoins as on the hall. The eastern range of "summer house" of 3 bays has a central doorway with massive rusticated surround and large tripled keystone to lintel. The flanking bays have large circular openings with raised ashlar surrounds punctuated by 4 keystones. Similar apertures are pierced in the west wall of the south-west wing over the goit. Flat stone slabs are used to roof the "summer house" as a terrace. Internally the 3 rooms are barrel vaulted, one containing a plain but heavy chimneypiece. The floors are stone paved and cobbled. This former "mill" is an important survival of an early garden building with the added interest of its adaptation of the original mill building on the site.



Listing NGR: SE1885239564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336417

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing