This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TOWERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWERS

List entry Number: 1133257

Location

THE TOWERS, BROW LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Clayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336186

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 BROW LANE Clayton/Yews Green BD14

The Towers SE 1031 48/312

II

2. Circa 1880-90. The Towers was built and designed by Julius Whitehead, the founder of Clayton Fireclay Works, as his own residence. A substantial 2-storey rectangular house on a prominent hillside dominating the works. Conventional fenestration but the materials and decorative details proclaim Whitehead's products. The house is built of double size, brown-red salt-glazed bricks with leaf decorated fireclay plat bands and frieze below a pot bellied balustraded parapet. At each corner are crenellated salt glaze brick and square turrets. The three window entrance front has 2 light ground floor windows with similar decorated plaques to those on Ceramic House but the mullions also have fireclay leaf decoration. To the right of the doorway is a projecting rectangular bay with a 2 light window; alternate white bricks to frieze, balustraded parapet with miniature turrets complementing those on the roof. Fireclay leaf pattern sill band. Coloured glass to upper part of sashes. The return garden front is of 4 windows with similar details and decoration. The interior is unaltered with fireclay and tiles being used frequently in the decoration. The drawing room fireplace is an early example of an underdrawn type with a suspended glazed tile hood. The staircase has salt glazed treads the sides having fruit and leaf decoration. About the house and grounds are numerous examples of decorative salt glazed wares produced by the firm including urns, rustic seats and reclining lions. A particularly unusual house in an otherwise stone built area.

Listing NGR: SE1081831283

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 10818 31283

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:51:31.

End of official listing