ELDWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133333

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: ELDWICK HALL, OTLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELDWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 00:39:47.

Location

Statutory Address: ELDWICK HALL, OTLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 12589 41228

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE14SW BINGLEY OTLEY ROAD SE126412 (west side of)Lane-Head

2/102 Eldwick Hall 9.8.66

GV II

House. Initialled and dated " R L 1696 " (Richard Longbottom). Dressed gritstone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic. 2-cell central lobby-entry plan, double-depth. 3-bay facade has doorway with unusual carved doorcase which has outer rusticated jambs with an inner eared architrave; the lintel is inscribed with the date. The face of the wall above the door is raised by a shallow projection ascending to the eaves and framing a 2-light window with an ogee surround with carved floret set in apex at lst-floor level. To either side double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed cruciform windows of 4 lights to left (parlour) and 6 lights to right (hall) on both floors. Ground-floor dripmould with small scroll stops. Shaped gutter brackets. Coped gables with kneelers and acorn finials to eaves and apex. Central stack to ridge. Rear: outshut to rear of 2nd cell has quoins, plinth and stack. 2 lateral stacks. Altered windows in keeping. Left-hand return has double-chamfered mullioned- and-transomed window of 4 lights with 4-light chamfered mullioned window above. Cross-window at mezzanine level to light stairs. Right-hand return has almost central doorway with composite jambs and chamfered surround which rises to form a false ogee lintel. To left a 6-light C20 window, to right a 5-light double-chamfered mullioned window. Dripmould returned from front. lst-floor has 3-light and 4-light windows with almost square reveals. 2-light window to attic has arched lights. To right-hand end a lst-floor doorway with composite jambs, chamfered surround and lintel carved " I H S 1716 " (now altered to form a 2-light window), reached by a flight of 13 stone steps with a simple parapet to top landing.

Interior: largely altered mid C20. Steps lead down to the original cellar: this has a segmental-arched vault. The rear of the house contained an unheated back parlour in the north-west angle, and a kitchen at the north-east angle. The kitchen was heated by a stack, now largely rebuilt, on the north wall.

An interesting house which in its decorative detail attempts to combine classical features with the more local vernacular style.

Listing NGR: SE1258941228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338008

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing