RYSHWORTH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1133397

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: RYSHWORTH HALL, 1,2,3,4 AND 5, KEIGHLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RYSHWORTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:37:34.

Location

Statutory Address: RYSHWORTH HALL, 1,2,3,4 AND 5, KEIGHLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 10077 40806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE14SW BINGLEY KEIGHLEY ROAD SE100408 (west side) Crossflatts

2/95 Nos 1, 2, 3, 9.8.66 4 and 5 (Ryshworth Hall)

II*

House, now in 5 occupations. A house of complex development: early C16 3-bay hall, later C16 4-bay east wing and extension to south of hall making it flush with wing, early C18 extension to rear of wing, mid C18 wing added to west, late C19 canted bays added to hall and west wing with infill to rear between the 2 wings making this the new entrance front. Hall and east wing timber-framed with rendered walls (internal evidence), west wing hammer-dressed stone with ashlar dressings, dressed stone C19 addition, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, South front: west wing, to left, of 3 bays has rusticated quoins, moulded band which ramps to either side, richly-moulded cornice to slightly raised parapet. 3 bays off sash windows with architraves and aprons, central doorway with architrave surround. Hipped roof with C18 stack at junction with hall range. Hall range: 3 wide bays the outer gabled with 2-storey canted bays with sash windows, niches set in apex of gables. Central bay has doorway with wooden surround with segmental lintel and Greek key ornament, sash window above. Oversailing eaves. Lateral stacks to return walls. Rear: east wing (to left) has doorway to left of 5-light mullioned-and-transomed window with leaded lights, band and quoins to 1st floor which is of different masonry and has 2 sash windows. Hipped roof with ridge stack. Similar fenestration to west wing (to right) but with doorway with tie-stone jambs and sash window to ground floor. Hipped roof. Infill between wings breaks forward: 3 bays with central doorway flanked by transomed windows. Hipped roof with stack to left of hip at junction with east wing. Left-hand return (west wing) has 2 external stacks with moulded cornices and offsets; set between, tall arched stairwindow, a C19 insertion (break in stonework), with 24-paned sash. Right-hand return (east wing) has chamfered plinth, large external stack (possibly late C16) raised or rebuilt C19, to left of Venetian window with wooden surround and arched lights, the centre light with Greek key ornament and keystone. At right-angles 2-cell addition dated 1758 with quoins to right. 4-light flat-faced mullioned window with recessed mullions to each floor, altered on lst-floor of 1st cell which also has inserted doorway. Ridge stack to right. C19 addition to right: 3 bays. Brick with quoined angles. Square sash windows. Doorway with monolithic jambs set between 1st 2 bays.

Interior: hall has evidence of its early C16 date in roof: the range is closed at either end by a king-post truss with 6 vertical braces on each side of king-post with remains of lath and plaster infill; second king-post truss with angle strut, and a more elaborate truss which has a short king-post rising from a collar, the collar being supported by straight braces from the principals. East wing of post- and-truss construction with framed close-studded walls with diagonal bracing and 3 king-post trusses; northernmost bay has stone corbels supporting stone collar with mortices for fire-hood. The addition to rear of east wing has fine 1st-floor panelled room with large raised- and-fielded panels, bolection-moulded fireplace with good contemporary cast-iron grate, casement-moulded cornice. A ground-floor window has scratch marks dated 1727 and 1770. Hall range too has some fine C18 bolection-moulded panelling. A house graded II* primarily for its timber-frame and unusual roof, a rare survival in this region. The C18 work too is of high quality.

Illustrated in Samuel Buck, Sketches of Yorkshire Houses, C18, reprint Wakefield Historical Society, p158.

RCHM (England) report.

Listing NGR: SE1007740806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337952

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, I, Samuel Bucks Yorkshire Sketch Book, (1979)

End of official listing