Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133457.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:39:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 08522 49696


SE04NE ADDINGHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET 10.9.54 (north side off)

4/56 Church of St. Peter


Parish Church. Late C15 rebuild of Norman church, traces of which remain inside interior of tower (re-used stone with chevron decoration), late medieval timber roof to nave, probably contemporary with Tudor north aisle; west tower and south nave wall rebuilt 1757 (date on the tower)-1760 by Joshua Brear, a local mason, (Church Minute Book, Sheepscar Library, Leeds), chancel restored 1875. Dressed stone, stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry and west tower. Classical except north aisle which is Perpendicular. Plinth, rusticated quoins. 2-stage tower: 1st stage has window with architrave, impost and semicircular head with keystone and Gothick glazing and clock in 2 faces. Band separates the stages. South face bears date below 2-light belfry. Parapet, crocketed pinnacles. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with lower roof all with semicircular-arched windows with keystones, imposts and architraves. 2 doorways with Gibbs surround and triple keystone. North aisle has 4 bays of 3-light chamfered mullioned windows with arched lights and sunken spandrels articulated by offset buttresses. Victorian east end has 3-light window with panel tracery and 2-light window to vestry under separate roof. Coped gables with kneelers, that to chancel surmounted by carved cross.

Interior: Nave has 3-bay Tudor arcade with octagonal piers lacking capitals and 4-centred chamfered arches. Chancel arch is 4-centred on square piers. A further bay to aisle east of chancel arch is similar. Good 5-bay nave roof. King-post trusses with stop-chamfered principals, curved braces to ridge, moulded tie-beams, 2 have carved bosses. Tie-beam supported on stubby wooden corbel with curved brace. Aisle has lean-to roof of 10 bays, straight principals with roll-moulded edges. 2 trenched stop-chamfered purlins. West gallery carried on turned wooden columns. Semi-octagonal baptistry set under gallery retains C18 font of baluster shape. Chancel has C19 3-bay arched- braced hammer-beam boarded roof which retains its original stencil decoration. Several wall monuments to the Cuncliffe family of Farfield Hall (q.v.) the best by Sherwood (Derby) to Eliza Parr, 1809: the crown decorated with mourning figure and draped urn, the apron with swag either side of inscription. Good fragment of a late Saxon cross has two figures set under a circle in which is set a cross carved in relief.

N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London) 1979), p72.

Listing NGR: SE0852249696


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05667/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony P. Heap. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].