CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133546

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KIRKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 16:51:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14396 37538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 13 NW SHIPLEY KIRKGATE (north side) Shipley

2/101 Church of St. Paul 24 June 1976

GV II

Commissioners' church. 1823-25. By John Oates of Halifax. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave and aisle under one roof, small chancel, west tower. Tall, 3-stage square west tower with west door, under deep square hoodmould. The west window is of three lights. 2-light windows to 2nd stage. 6-light transomed and traceried bell-chamber openings with clock-face attached. Pierced crenellated parapet and tall crocketed corner pinnacles. To north and south sides of the tower is a former 2-storey porch. The entrances are now part-blocked to form windows. The buttressed aisles have tall, 6-light, mullioned and transomed windows with cusped lights and intersecting tracery. Crenellated parapets. The lower single-bay chancel has a large 14-light transomed east window with Perpendicular tracery. Above the window is a square, elaborately detailed plaque with shield, helm and crest. Octagonal corner towers to east end of chancel. Single-storey porch to each side, all with crenellated parapets.

Interior: 5-bay arcade to north and south on octagonal piers. Compartmental roof with plastered timber ribs and small bosses. North and south galleries, the panelled and traceried fronts of which were added in 1875. The west gallery has been renewed and has screen below to form separate, full width hall at rear. Elaborate and finely-carved stone pulpit of c1876-80. The lower part has a central pedestal with figures in niches and is splayed to support the wooden, panelled and traceried upper part. Elegant carved stone open stair. Octagonal marble font with traceried panels. East window by F. Barnett of York 1858-60, partly obscured by later panelled reredos. Later C19 commemorative glass to aisles.

Listing NGR: SE1439637538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337498

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing