CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133750

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, BURNLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:46:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, BURNLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Todmorden

National Grid Reference: SD 93610 24144

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9324 TODMORDEN (former M.B.) BURNLEY ROAD (south side)

6/49 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary, Church Street) 22.11.66

G.V. II

Church. 1770 with chancel added in 1896. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Tower may have earlier masonry to base of 3 plain stages defined by string course. 1st stage has pointed arched window with Gothic glazing and sash. Hoodmould with carved head terminations. 2nd stage has small arched light to each face with semi-circular arched belfry window with collonnettes set within a recess. 3rd stage is embattled and has clock face. Weather-vane. 5-bay nave with 2 tiers of windows in the same plane. A B C C B A. Outer bays have Venetian windows with raised impost and keystone. 2 central bays have tall semi-circular arched windows with impost and keystone flanked by doorways with rusticated surround and false voussoirs and cornice. The left door covered by gabled porch with semi-circular arched doorway with impost and keystone (late C19). The right door blocked to form window. Over doors, semi-circular arched window with impost and keystone with stepped glazing. Quoins, cornice. North side of nave has 5 bays of 3-light double chamfered mullioned windows. Gothic Revival Chancel with gabled transeptal chapel with circular window with tracery. Diagonal buttresses to east gable. Tall east window with pointed arch and pannel tracery. Interior: Barn-like nave with fling-post roof with rough overlapping purlins. West gallery with panelled pews and fine oak balustrade, supported on 2 stone columns. Loosely attached (to appearance) is the Chancel. Organ recess. 2-bay hammer-beam roof. Screen in free Gothic is a War Memorial. The east window, showing the Crucifixion, is a memorial to John Fielden of Dobroyd and is by Kempe. Bell of 1603 and clock installed in tower in 1860. Originally a chapel- of-ease of St. Chad's Church Rochdale, built on land given by the Radcliffe family c.1476, of nearby Todmorden Hall (q.v.). N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1979), p.521.

Listing NGR: SD9361024144

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339032

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 521
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2645

End of official listing