PARK METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133851

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: PARK METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, BETHEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 11:00:08.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, BETHEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14632 22805

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE BETHEL STREET SE 1422- NE (north side) 6/5 Park Methodist Church and attached Sunday School (formerly listed as 29. 4. 82 Park Methodist Church)

II

Chapel and Sunday School. 1876 by R. F. Rogerson. Dressed stone with good ashlar dressings, slate roof. Freely handled transitional style. 2 storeys. 5-bay hall range flanked by square towers with slated iron crested pavilion roofs. The east tower rises a full stage higher, its return splayed with side elevation following street alignment. Strongly modelled false machicolated eaves cornice. To the base of each tower is a portal of 2 orders with stiff leaf impost, string carried in over doorhead, panelled tympanum, deeply roll- moulded each on ¼ jamb shafts but the whole is contained by crocket-finialed gable. The first floor of towers has large Romanesque window with arched lights and circular light to head. The top stage of east tower has an ogee capped oculus. The stiff leaf impost string and partly corbelled sill course are carried over from towers on the first floor of the 5 bay range meeting an arcade of windows recessed in 2 orders with ¼ jamb shafts. Ground floor segmented arched windows. Right hand return wall 2 storeys of 9 uneven sized bays. 3- light mullioned windows to 1st bay, 2-light to 2nd, all others single light. Ground floor has segmental arched lintels, first floor has semi-circular arched heads and longer windows, moulded gutter brackets and square stack to right hand end.

Listing NGR: SE1463222805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338767

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing