STEEPLE OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133885

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1973

Statutory Address: STEEPLE OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KING CROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEEPLE OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 20:25:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STEEPLE OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST PAUL, KING CROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 07812 24303

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

338740 KING CROSS ROAD Steeple of former Church of St Paul 23 November 1973 Grade II

1847 by Chantrell. Stone, Gothic tower with clock stage, belfry and broach spire. Former abutment of church to east made good. Churchyard now a public garden. Included as local feature.

Church tower with spire of 1847 by R D Chantrell in stone. The church was described as Gothic in style, and the surviving tower, of stone, is square in plan with stepped angle buttresses, in three stages defined by string courses. The second stage has a clock on the south elevation, and all four sides have triple lancet lights of which the outer two are blind and the inner louvred. Above is a tall broach spire with lucarnes. The east elevation, formerly leading into the church, has the outline of the former nave visible, with a narrow lancet window at first floor level and an arched doorway below.

It is set in garden grounds, formerly a burial ground.

HISTORY: The former church of St Paul at King Cross, Halifax, was built in 1846-7, to serve the growing population of this part of the town to the west of the centre. It was designed by R D Chantrell, a well known architect who designed a number of Commissioners' churches in Yorkshire including Christ Church, Craven (listed Grade II*), and rebuilt the parish church of St Peter in Leeds (listed Grade I). It cost £3330 with an additional £1300 for furnishings and fees.

The church continued in use until the early-C20, when further increases in the population made the building inadequate for requirements, and a new St Paul's was built nearby on Queen's Road and opened in 1912. In 1931 much of the old church was demolished after a partial roof collapse, leaving the spire and graveyard. The burial ground continued in use until 1970 when it was converted to a rest garden in the care of the local authority. The tower and spire were listed at Grade II in 1973.

Reasons for designation The steeple of the former church of St Paul, King Cross, Halifax, built in 1846-7 and designed by Chantrell is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architecture: it is a good example of a mid-C19 Commissioners Church, designed by a well known architect, forming a prominent landmark in the area * Historic interest: the construction of the church and its subsequent replacement by a larger church, leaving only the steeple standing, charts the development of Halifax through the C19 and early-C20

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338740

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing