BRADLEY HALL GOLF CLUB HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133962

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: BRADLEY HALL GOLF CLUB HOUSE, STAINLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRADLEY HALL GOLF CLUB HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 15:22:54.

Location

Statutory Address: BRADLEY HALL GOLF CLUB HOUSE, STAINLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 08382 20411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLAND STAINLAND ROAD SE 084204 (west side) 1/119 Bradley Hall Golfclub House

II

Manor house, now golf club. 1598 probably by the Akroyds as an addition to a house of 1577 for Sir John Savile. Dressed stone, with stone slate roof. The existing two storey range, of considerable length, has been obscured by later accretions. Only the gables return anything of the original building. The north gable has spectacular 5 sided bay window of 2 storeys, semi-octagonal in plan with cross windows on the front and canted sides and one light on the square return sides. Each light is slightly rebated and has a hollow chamfer. Hoodmould over ground floor bay window continues over 10-light mullioned and transomed window (6 lights blocked) which has chamfered surround and hollow chamfer to each light. Over is a 5-light similar window with hoodmould South gable has tall blocked windows with hoodmould over to both floors, and small doorway also blocked and obscured by later stack. Rear wall appears to be blind but has at one time had a cart entry. Two small stacks to ridge.

A much disfigured but important survival of work by the Savile masons. Fragments of a rose window and a datestone of 1598 also survive loose in grounds. L. Amber; 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire', (London 1913) p.61; N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding', (London 1979) p.498; 'Autobiography of Sir John Savile', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 15, (1897) p.420. J. Lister, H.A.S. (1919), pl. T. W. Hanson H.A.S. (1928), p.253. A. Comfort, 'Ancient Halls in and about Halifax'; (Halifax 1913),

Listing NGR: SE0838220411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338543

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 61
Comfort, A , Ancient Halls in and about Halifax, (1913)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 498
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 15, (1897), 420
Other
Hanson, T W, (1928)
Lister, J , (1919)

End of official listing