CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1133985
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, NORTH DEAN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133985.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:15:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, NORTH DEAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 08473 22321

Details

ELLAND NORTH DEAN ROAD SE 084223 1/71 Church of St Stephen

II*

Church, 1863 by W. H. Crossland for Col. Edward Akroyd. Dressed stone, slate roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, south porch and transeptal chapel. Heavy offset buttresses to west front and between nave and chancel. Nave is of 5 bays with extremely steep roof. Clerestorey lancets and tall 4-light window in a free Early English style to west front above which is a roundel with figure of patron saint in high relief. The aisles have pierced trefoil parapet and bays separated by pinnacled buttresses. Each bay has 3 cinquefoil windows with hood moulds and decorative stops. South porch in western bay of nave has pointed relieving arch and decorated segmental tympanum. Gable over with damaged figure in niche. North transept with 2 lancets and large quatrefoil window over. Tall chimney with coupled stack rising from wall. Chancel is roofed continuously with the nave but a bellcote with paired openings stands over the join. The chancel has a 5 sided apse with tall lancets with colonnettes in each face. On south side small vestry with cusped headed priest's door. The whole has decorative hoodmould stops and much grotesque carving.

Interior: wide nave with waggon roof with differing arcades. That on the south side has moulded arches carried on cylindrical piers. On north side unmoulded arches carried on clustered colonnettes on square bases. The capitals carved throughout. The chancel arch carried on corbelled marbelled shafts. The chancel is tunnel vaulted with moulded ribs forming a star over the apse; foliated string beneath the windows and much shafting. Heavy arch to North transept which is filled by the organ. Above this a two bay arcade at clerestorey level. The lavish decorative scheme survives in part, chiefly paintings of saints on south wall of chancel and stenciling to lean-to ceilings of aisles. Other fittings include richly decorated pulpit with mosaic panels; wrought iron chancel rail and gates. Reredos with mosaic and good stained glass in west window and apse. 'The Building News', Vol. 7 (August 1861), p.649. 'The Ecclesiologist', Vol. XXIII (1865) P.368. R. A. Carter 'Guide to Yorkshire Churches', (Idle, 1976), p.20.

Listing NGR: SE0847322321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carter, R , A Visitors Guide to Yorkshire Churches, (1976), 20
'The Ecclesiologist' in The Ecclesiologist, , Vol. 23, (1865), 368
'The Building News' in August, , Vol. 7, (1861), 649

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00341/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Mawer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].