4-80, CAVENDISH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133995

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1991

Statutory Address: 4-80, CAVENDISH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4-80, CAVENDISH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:49:25.

Location

Statutory Address: 4-80, CAVENDISH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Keighley

National Grid Reference: SE 06375 41300

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following items shall added:- KEIGHLEY CAVENDISH STREET SE 0641 SW (West Side)

27/311 Nos 4 to 80 (even)

- II

Row of 38 shops with offices over. 1899, 1902, 1907 and later. Coursed rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with 35 stacks, some truncated. 3 storey plus attics. Nos 4 to 10. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, 4 bay west front with single bay chamfered corner and 3 bay gabled south front. Plaster strips first and second floor moulded bands and eaves plus first floor moulded impost band. No 4 has ashlar Doric column shop front with C20 windows and corner doorway diamond glazing overlight with to right a window. Above a round headed 2 light window on the west and a narrower similar window to corner, both with keystones, to east a central tall divided stair window flanked by single plain sashes. Above a pair of plain sashes in east, a similar sash to the corner and 2 sashes to the east. Above east front a large combined stack and gable with 2 round headed windows and ball finials. Nos 6, 8 and 10 each has a C20 shop front with iron and glass canopy and above 3 round headed 3 light windows with keystones. Above again 4 single and a pair of plain sashes. Topped with 2, 3 light C20 dormers and a 2 light dormer. Nos 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20. Ashlar, 5 bays with 5 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above 5, 2 light cross casements in moulded ashlar surrounds, with carved panels above linking with 5 further cross casements. Nos 16 and 18 are flanked by plain buttresses rising to ogee capped stone finials with a pedimented gable between with 2 small windows flanking a central buttress. To the left a 2-light dormer with sashes, and to the right 2 C20 dormers. Nos 22 and 24. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Moulded first and second floor bands and flanking pilasters. 2 bay with 2 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above 2 canted oriel windows with plain sashes, above 2 pairs of plain sashes with moulded ashlar surrounds. Above 2 segment headed gable dormers. Nos 26, 28, 30, 32 and 34. Ashlar, 5 bays, with 5 C20 shop fronts and an iron and glass canopy. Above pilaster strips to outer bays, central triple window flanked by 2, 3 light cross casements with moulded surrounds with carved upper panels linked to similar upper windows. The upper central bay has 3 windows with flanking pilasters, with above a large scroll pediment with a pair of central sashes, with smaller flanking sashes. Either side 2, 3 light dormer windows. Nos 36, 38, 40, 42 and 44. Ashlar, 5 bays 5 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above'pilaster strips between bays and dentilated eaves. 5, 3 light casements with plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods, above 5 similar windows. The central bay topped by an open segmental pediment. Nos 46, 48 and 50. Ashlar 3 bays 3 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above pilaster strips between bays and dentilated eaves. Central 3 windows with plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods, flanked by single 3 light similar windows. Upper floor has similar fenestration. Central bay topped by a segment headed gable with segment headed 3 light casement. Nos 52 and 54. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. 2 bays 2 C20 shop fronts, with an iron and glass canopy. Above 2, 2-storey canted bay windows in raised ashlar surrounds each with a Venetian window and moulded hood, each bay topped by an open moulded segmental pediment, flanked by vase finials. No 56. Ashlar. Single bay. Single C20 shop front with an iron and glass canopy. Above moulded cill bands, outer pilaster strips and dentilated eaves. Above central 2 light casement, flanked by single light similar windows all with plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods. Upper floor has similar fenestration. Nos 58, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74 and 76. Ashlar. 9 bays. 9 C20 shop fronts with an iron and glass canopy. Above pilaster strips between bays and dentilated eaves. Above central and outer gabled bays, with central and outer canted bay windows, with between 3, 3 light casements with plain ashlar surrounds and flat hoods to either side. Above 9 similar 3 light windows. Central pedimented gable has small 3 light casement in similar surround, outer segment headed gables have similar 3 light casements with segment heads. Nos 78 and 80. Ashlar. 5 windows. A large shop front and office entrance doorway to right with an iron and glass canopy. Above 4 casements in plain ashlar surrounds with flat hoods, to the left a 3 light corner bay window with similar surrounds. Above similar fenestration pattern, with moulded surrounds and keystones. Above a single and a 3 light dormer, and to the left an octagonal ashlar cupola with casements, an ashlar dome topped with short spire. This row of shops were constructed as a speculative development from 1899. Ten shops were designed by J Judson and Moore for the Yorks Land Company, 1899, five shops were designed by Barber Hopkinson for J W Midgley. 1902, and eight shops were designed by Moore and Crabtree also for Yorks Land Company, 1907. Thus street was widened in order to create a broad thoroughfare from the Railway Station of 1882.

Listing NGR: SE0637541300

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338414

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing