TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134150

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, BOW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:27:42.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, BOW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Keighley

National Grid Reference: SE 06086 41264

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEIGHLEY BOW STREET SE 0641 SW (north side)

27/10 Keighley Town Hall

- II

Town Hall. Opened 1902. By John Haggas. Ashlar, graduated Westmorland slate roof. 4 storeys, 3 bays with 4th bay turning corner on left. Plinth. Pilasters dividing bays. Cornices between each floor. Ground floor: door on right and 3 windows, all round-arched with moulded lintels and keystones. Cill, impost and lintel bands. Cornice breaks forward over door on corbels and is surmounted by balustrade. 1st floor: corner bay has oriel window with floriated base and cornice and balustrade above. 3 segment-headed windows with architraves and bands as ground floor. 2nd floor: cross-windows, the moulded heads with rounded corners and panels below decorated in Art Nouveau style. 3rd floor: central Ipswich window, with decorative panels above and below, flanked by cross-windows. Parapet with pilasters surmounted by ball and urn finials. Central pediment with town's coat of arms in panel under scalloped shell. Over corner bay is a blind, round- arched opening with moulded head, imposts and keystones above which is shaped pediment with finial. Corniced stacks to ridge and sides. Left return: 3 bays on right as front. 8 bays to left plainer, of coursed stone, with one- and 2-light windows with chamfered lintels, flat-faced mullions and projecting cills. Interior: staircase with Art Nouveau style iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail and newel. Council chamber has seats, panelled walls with coats of arms, gallery with panelled front, clock and moulded frieze and ceiling. Work began on the Town Hall in 1900, it began to be used in 1901 although not opened officially until 1902 (Kellys Directory). The internal arrangements were by W and J B Bailey, the carving on the facade by A F Smith (Ibid).

Listing NGR: SE0608641264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338095

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

End of official listing