Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 09:42:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 04337 23651


SOWERBY BRIDGE NEW ROAD SE 0423 & SE 0523 (north side, off) , 12/143 Sowerby 15.11.66 Wood Lane Hall - I House. Dated 1649 and 1651 incorporating parts of earlier frame and with late C18-early C19 alterations. For John and Elizabeth Dearden. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. Hall with cross-wings plan, 2 rooms deep. 2 storeys with cellar and attic; 3 bays, outer 2 gabled. Chamfered plinth, transomed double-chamfered windows with cyma-moulded mullions and some stanchions, string with decorative stops flanking windows, decorative-stopped dripmoulds to principal 1st-floor windows, coped embattled parapet with finials to merlons and coped gables. Between central (hall) bay and right bay is a 2-storey porch: doorway has fluted jambs on plinths, imposts, bi-cusped lintel carved with male head and '1649 IDED' above; it is in architrave of fluted columns on lozenge-decorated plinths supporting entablature with head in frieze, moulded cornice and ball finials; large 1st-floor rose window with mouchettes and some original leading and glass under dripmould with headstops dated 1651; fronting central finial is sundial; right return of porch has 1st-floor window and gutter spout. Central, hall, bay: tall 9-light window with king mullions and 2 transoms breaks string and has dripmould; to its left a doorway, formerly a window with chamfered lintel. Left bay projects and both this and right bay have a 6-light window with king million to ground and lst floors and a stepped 3-light single chamfered window with moulded cill to attic, left bay has a 2-light window to each floor of right return. Ridge stack at right end of hall has paired, corniced, diamond-set flues; 2 other stacks to right wing, on left of ridge. Rear: 3 gabled bays with 2-storey porch between right-hand bays. Plinth, double-chamfered mullioned windows transomed except for untransomed 2-light cellar windows, string. Porch: dog-kennel; arched light and 2-light windows above to either side; entrance is up steps on right return through chamfered quoined, Tudor-arched doorway; on right of porch a 4-light window. Right bay: a 2-light window to each floor. Central bay: a 6-light window with king-mullion; broken spout below; two 3-light windows above. Left bay: two late C18-early C19 2-light windows; on left, steps down to plain stone surround doorway. Gables have chamfered coping and finials. Left return: a 4-light and three 2-light windows to ground floor; string returned from front; two 4-light and one 2-light windows above; gutter spouts, each carved with a face or animal. Right return: sashes with glazing bars to 1- and 2-light flat-faced mullion windows. Interior: hall: full-height; large very fine chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace with fluted Ionic pilasters on lozenge- decorated plinths, cornices, wooden panel above carved with floral motifs and spiral frieze rises into cornice with knobs on frieze; gallery running round 3 sides has turned balusters set on carved panel; fine panelling with hearts and carved frieze; panelled doors with segmental-arched surrounds; elaborate moulded pilaster ceiling has decorative panels with pomegranates, shields and lions in-relief and fluted central boss. Front left room has chamfered segemental-arched fireplace with wooden leaf-carved panels above and flanking consoles; carved frieze to panelled walls. Kitchen, to rear centre, has very wide fireplace; in one section the 2 spine beams have moulded plasterwork on soffit with central lozenge and pomegranates; in the left end the spine beams are chamfered and the window has stanchions and leaded glazing. The right wing was altered late C18-early C19 and the ground-floor room has a bolection-moulded fireplace, large panels on walls, cornice; imported earlier dog-leg stair with spiral and decorative-panelled balusters. lst floor: chamfered Tudor-arched doorways; 3 original doors of 4 moulded panels and with butterfly hinges. Front left room has a good cyma-moulded Tudor-arched fireplace, moulded cornice and spine beams. Rear left room has ogee-chamfered segmental-arched fire- place; leaded lights to window; a King-past roof truss with vertical struts and continuous mortice in soffit of tie beam for former partition wall. At top of stairs to rear left is a section of early balusters. Another king-post roof truss visible in central rear room. The wheel window is identical to that at New Hall, Elland.

Listing NGR: SE0433723651


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11500/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].