CHURCH OF ST MARY THE BLESSED VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1134509
Date first listed:
01-Oct-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE BLESSED VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE BLESSED VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134509.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:07:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE BLESSED VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 04134 26223

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE HIGH STREET SE 0426 (north side, off), 5/91 Luddenden 1.10.85 Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin GV II Church. 1816-17 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds, alterations and extensions 1866 and 1910. Coursed squared stone, Welsh slate roof. Gothic style. West tower with south porch (now vestry) and north addition, nave, chancel. Tower: 2 stages. Offset clasping buttresses rise into crocketed finials. Embattled pent porch on south with blocked doorway. West doorway with 2-light window above, both with hoodmoulds. All windows with Y-tracery. 2-light belfry openings, southern one with later clock face. Embattled parapet. Nave: 4 bays defined by offset pilaster buttresses. Plinth. 3-light intersecting tracery window on left, others of 2 cusped lights with trefoils over, all with hoodmoulds. Cornice with gutter spouts; embattled gables. North windows of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Tracery all of 1866. Chancel: 1866, extended 1910. 3 bays, lower and narrower than nave. Plinth, offset buttresses. 2-light Perpendicular-style windows; arched opening under right hand window. Raised verge with gable cross. 5-light east window with rectilinear tracery. Interior: nave has attached octagonal columns rising to window-head height Panelled roofs. In tower double stair with ramped handrail on straight and wavy iron balusters leads up to gallery (restored 1985/86). At back of church font dated 1662 has fluted base with rolled top supporting octagonal basin with carved panels to sides, one dated. Near to it is earlier tub font. Near the Victorian pulpit is an early C19 font with octagonal base, concave shaft and small cyma-moulded bowl. Some C18 monuments including one in south porch to James Farrer of Ewood Hall, d.1718, having swags and cherubs beneath a cartouche surmounted by arms with festoons. In south-east wall of nave brass memorial plate to William Grimshaw, d.1763, incumbent of Haworth who introduced Methodism to that area. Benefaction boards in tower. This church is the third to be built on the site. A cross wall being inserted in nave and other alterations being undertaken at the time of resurvey. J A Heginbottom, The Parish Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Luddenden with Luddenden Foot, A Brief History and Guide (1984).

Listing NGR: SE0413426223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
339233
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heginbottom, J A, The Parish Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin Luddenden with Luddenden Foot A Brief History and Guide, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01262/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Mawer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].