OATS ROYD MILL, BLOCK TO WEST OF ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134524

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: OATS ROYD MILL, BLOCK TO WEST OF ROAD, DEAN HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OATS ROYD MILL, BLOCK TO WEST OF ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 01:04:54.

Location

Statutory Address: OATS ROYD MILL, BLOCK TO WEST OF ROAD, DEAN HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 03889 26578

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBYBRIDGE DEAN HOUSE LANE SE 0226 & SE 0326 (west side) , Luddenden 4/173 Oats Royd Mill, block 20.8.82 to west of road formerly listed as part of Oats Royd Mill) GV II

Mill buildings, now various commercial premises and part unoccupied. Mid C19, of 2 builds. Coursed squared stone, slate roof. 4 storeys with loft, 27 bays. Left-hand section: inscribed 'J M' (John Murgatroyd)with date 1847 below. 2 outer bays at left end break forward. Plinth; 6-pane windows, some with C20 glazing, with stone lintels and projecting cills; openings to right of bay 11 partly blocked; gutter brackets on table. First floor covered walkway in corrugated iron from bay 3 to pay office opposite. Bay 10 is gabled and has a round-arched cart-entry to ground floor and a loading door to each other floor (including loft) with hoist above; bay 24 has 1st and 2nd-floor loading doors, now windows, with rusticated quoins, round-arched, and date plaque above; bay 27 has a sliding door. Loading bay cills show extensive wear. 6-pane windows with stone lintels and projecting cills, ground floor windows blocked, iron rings in lintels of 3rd-floor lintels; gutter brackets on table. To rear, lavatory block near south end. Further 14 bays in original listing destroyed by fire in 1989.

INTERIOR: divided on all floors by substantial stone walls into discrete sections, one wall having blocked windows presumably originally external. Ceilings and floors original, some ceilings masked by false ceilings, original cast iron columns throughout, floors have 'dolly-runs', original roof structure with cast iron stanchions to trusses, original staircase, drive wheels and pulley in loft formerly connected to steam engine house to east. Inserted breeze-block dividing walls, and new staircase at south end. A group plan of the mill complex made in 1898 shows that the left-hand section was used as a wool warehouse, the right-hand section as a mill (the carding, combing and wearing sheds lying to the east of the road).

Murgatroyds : Ground Plan 1898 (674), in the collection of papers on John Murgatroyd and Sons, Oats Royd, 1728-1892 (JW), Calderdale Archives.

Listing NGR: SE0389126574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339175

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing