CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1134671
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WILSHAW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:27:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WILSHAW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Meltham
National Grid Reference:
SE 11573 09785

Details

SE 10 NW WILSHAW ROAD (Wilshaw) 4/52 Church of St. Mary

II

G.V.

A church of highly eclectic design, having some German Romanesque forms, the elaborate central tower roof of French gothic type, and the windows typical of the Italian Renaissance. Built 1863 by John Kirk of Huddersfield at the expense of Joseph Hirst of Wilshaw. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched slate roof with round arched corbel table. Symmetrical plan with church to east and former Sunday School to west with large vestibule surmounted by large square tower with very steep pyramidal roof with lozenge slating and decorative ironwork to top. Large central porch on north side, with panelled double doors and semi-circular fanlight with turned radial glazing bars. Doorway has colonnette in reveals with foliated capitals, and moulded and decorated arch. Oculus in gable apex of porch with stone wheel in front of glass. 5-bay nave to left with round-arched 2-light windows with circle in head and three detached colonnettes to each window, which has archivolt. The one-bay chancel side windows are similar but without the circle in head. The east window is 3-light with a detached outer skin with four colonnettes and two circles, each with stone wheel. The hood mould has well carved angels as stops. The 5-bay Sunday School to right has similar detailing to the church, but more plain. Warden's house (formerly the vicarage) to west end with addition to match the chancel. The central tower has octagonal stair tower on south side with pointed lozenge slated roof and spiral stone stairs. The tower has, on each side, two tall round arched cross windows with archivolts, colonnettes in reveals and as centre mullion, circle in head, and round arched lights. Louvred lucarnes in roof of tower.

Interior: round chancel arch on clustered responds. Gallery to rear with well carved oak front with panels of different foliage patterns. Arched braced collar beam roof. Barrel vaulted chancel roof in wood. Pulpit, reading desk and organ case, all elaborately carved in oak in round arched style with foliage and spiral decorated colonnettes. Choir stall fronts equally well carved each with 3 wheels and musical instruments carved in spandrels. Carved oak lectern of 1902. Memorial to Joseph Hirst of 1876: a marble low relief carving of the legend of the Good Samaritan in elaborate well carved stone surround. East window by Clayton and Bell in memory of Mary, the only child of Jospeh and Eleanor Hirst, c.1863. Vestibule beneath the tower and Sunday School, quite plain.

Listing NGR: SE1157309785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340888
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03949/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].