CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1134677
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134677.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:38:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Mirfield
National Grid Reference:
SE 21148 20413

Details

MIRFIELD UD CHURCH LANE SE 22 SW (Mirfield)

2/112

14/3/66 Church of St. Mary

G.V. II*

Large church, 1871 in Early English style, by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar. Steeply pitched stone slate roof. 5-bay nave with clerestory. Lean-to north and south aisles, gabled south porch. 2-bay chancel with chapel to south and vestry to north. Large square west tower in 4 reducing stages. Diagonal buttresses to lower 2 tiers which become octagonal buttresses to upper 2 tiers and terminate in large pinnacles with spires. Plain parapet on corbel table Very large bell-chamber openings, 2-light with plate tracery and cinquefoil in head and 3 orders of colonnettes in reveals. The 2nd tier has tall, triple group of slender lancets, the outer lights blind. Very elaborate double west doorway with centre colonnette, diaper work in tympana and roundel in head with well carved figures. Two inscriptions at base of tower in memory of Joshua Ingham of Blake Hall, and Joseph Lee of Shillbank. Aisle windows are 2-light with plate tracery and quatrefoil in head. The clerestory is in the form of a blind gothic arcade, with very small lancet to every third arch. Paired lancets to chancel and south chapel. The east window consists of 3 tall lancets with roundel with quatrefoil in apex.

Interior: Ashlar. 5-bay arcade to north and south on alternate octagonal piers with different foliated capitals, and round piers with plain capitals. Moulded arches. Similar large chancel arch. 2-bay arcaded chancel with black marble colonnettes around central columns. Choir stalls in chancel. Reredos in form of elaborate gothic arcade, 5-bays in sandstone with mosaic, to each side and 5 central bays in marble with sculped figures, and a crucifixion scene in centre. Elaborate oak panelling to left side of chancel, sedilia and piscina to right. 3 memorial east windows to members of the Ingham family (d.1877-8) by Burlison and Grylls 1882 (Pevsner). Organ to left. Chapel to right with oak screen. Good carved oak pulpit with inlay and carved figures of St. John the Baptist, St. Paul and St. Augustine of Canterbury. Vaulted tower ceiling with ribs to centre circle. Red and black marble font, with elaborate carved oak cover of c.1931. Arched braced collar roof to chancel. Large arched braced crown-post trusses to nave.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE2114820413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340799
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00859/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].