This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1134712

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VICARAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jul-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340779

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEWSBURY CB VICARAGE ROAD SE 2421 NE (Dewsbury)

8/92 Church of All Saints 30/6/49 (formerly listed under Church Street)

II*

Parish church. North arcade c.1220. South arcade later C13, rebuilt 1895. Nave ceiling C15. Tower and probably north aisle 1767. Transepts, chancel, chapels and vestries and probably the south aisle and clerestorey windows 1884-7. Extensive internal alterations c.1976. Tower and possibly north aisle by John Carr. 1884-7 work by A. E. Street and A. H. Kirk in Decorated style. Ashlar. Stone slate roof to nave and (hipped) north aisle. Other roofs leaded and very low pitched. Ashlar parapets. West tower, 4-bay nave, with north and south aisle. Large, taller chancel with large transept to north and south. Large chancel chapel to each side each with porch. Vestry in north east corner. The square tower is of 3 tiers with string courses and pilaster strips. The crenellated top with 8 crocketed pinnacles is C19. 2-light round-arched bell chamber openings. The middle tier has pointed arched windows with round arched lights. North and west doorways (the former blind) have pilaster jambs and ogee head surmounted by a concave triangular pediment. The large, round-arched north aisle windows are of six lights with transom and the lights of the lower tier are round-arched. South aisle windows are 3-light with Perpendicular and Decorated tracery. 3-light clerestory windows. The north and south transepts each have two large windows with Decorated tracery, (reticulated to north). Windows to chancel and chapels all have Decorated tracery. The large east window has seven lights with reticulated tracery and 2 circles. The south side of the chancel has a slender 6-light transomed, traceried window. The north chapel has a large 5-light window with cambered head and reticulated tracery.

Interior: 4-bay arcade to each side of nave, that to south on quatrefoil piers, that to north on piers around which are 4 detached colonnettes connected by annulets. Double chamfered arches. Panelled nave ceiling with bosses. Excellent carved oak reredos of 1913 depicting Christ with the 12 apostles, flanked by 12 early saints and monarchs. This was moved from the chancel in the recent alterations. In the west end of the north aisle are various fragments of Anglo-Saxon crosses, coffin lids and several C17 grave slabs. On the north wall are several memorials: one to John Turner 1758 with elaborate gabled canopy. A fine alabaster cartouche with two cherubs and scrolls and flowers, to Marmaduke Rookes, gent and Jane his wife. He died 1724, she died 1721. Another excellent, similar cartouche to Johannes and Elizabeth Peables of Dewsbury who died 1684 and 1681. Several mid C19 memorials to members of the Nowell family. Font probably C17, a 'tulip' bowl divided into 8 panels with decorative cornice and chamfered underside with patterns. Octagonal pedestal. The south chapel remains as such, but the rest of the east end of the church has been altered to form modern accommodation using concrete blockwork; the church structure has been left visible and intact. Large stone arches at the crossing and wooden arches on wooden piers to the transepts. Arched traceried stone screens formerly separated the chancel from the chapels. Good stained glass generally, to chancel, chapels and transepts. The east window is of 1884. Fragments of C14 glass in north transept window and also three C13 medallions representing harvesting, threshing and pig killing (Pevsner).

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967. A. R. Bielby, Churches & Chapels of Kirklees, 1978.

Listing NGR: SE2459021524

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bielby, A R, Churches and Chapels of Kirklees, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 24590 21524

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134712 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:32:30.

End of official listing