FLINT MILL AND ATTACHED MILL-RACE STRUCTURES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135034

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: FLINT MILL AND ATTACHED MILL-RACE STRUCTURES, WALTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLINT MILL AND ATTACHED MILL-RACE STRUCTURES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:22:56.

Location

Statutory Address: FLINT MILL AND ATTACHED MILL-RACE STRUCTURES, WALTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Thorp Arch

National Grid Reference: SE 42225 47310

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE44NW THORP ARCH WALTON ROAD LS23 (south side, off)

2/129 Flint Mill and attached mill-race structures.

GV II

Water mill with attached mill-race structures, now a house; shown as Flint Mill Farm on OS map. 1722 (Falconer p.247); altered C20. Coursed, squared magnesian limestone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys and basement, 5 x 3 bays; external water wheel and attached mill-race structures facing River Wharfe to rear left. Entrance front: quoined, segmentally-arched doorway to right of centre flanked by oculi; 4 flat-arched windows to each floor, all with C20 casements; small eaves stack on left. Rear (facing river): large undershot waterwheel to left has 8 wooden spokes to each cast-iron rim, iron blades; various small casements to basement; 3 square-headed and 2 round-headed windows to ground floor have C20 casements; 4 C20 casements under flat arches to 1st floor; eaves stack on right. Left return: 3 round-arched openings to basement and ground floors, matching lst-floor window the upper openings have casements with glazing bars. Interior large cast-iron flywheel and crown wheel within the basement; massive vertical wooden shaft rises to ground floor where there is another crown wheel and associated shafting. External mill-race structures: built of gritstone and comprising a dam wall pierced by inlet for the mill race and with adjacent race containing stepped troughs to form a fish ladder; a third bypass channel has concrete-filled inlet flanked by one triangular and one rounded cutwater. Built as a corn mill until converted in 1774 by Leeds Potteries to grind flints using German stones (Falconer op.cit); reverted to use as a corn mill in 1878 until final closure c1950. K. Falconer,Guide to England's Industrial Heritage, 1980

Listing NGR: SE4222547310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342052

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Falconer, K, Guide to Englands Industrial Heritage, (1980), 247

End of official listing