This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALTON OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALTON OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1135036

Location

WALTON OLD HALL, SMIDDY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Walton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE44NW WALTON SMIDDY HILL LS23 (west side)

2/135 Walton Old Hall 1 2.9.52 (formerly listed as Walton Hall)

GV II

Manor house. Rebuilt early C18 by Nicholas or John Fairfax (Speight, p.395); extended later (Speight p.387); extensive C20 alterations. Irregularly- coursed magnesian limestone rubble, stone slate roof. L-shaped plan: 2 storeys, 1:3 windows to 1st floor on north side. Quoins; double-chamfered, mullioned windows (mostly renewed). Gabled wing projecting on left has 4- light window beneath an old, transomed 4-light window; main range set back on right has a plain doorway on left of a 3-light window and small lean-to addition beyond; 3-light window to 1st floor flanked by 2-light windows. Stone stacks to eaves on left and to ridge of hipped main-range roof on right. C20 porch on south side flanked by 5-light windows to left and 2- and 3-light windows on right. Left return: lean-to beneath an original 3-light window (restored). Interior not inspected. Built on the site of the ancestral home of the Fairfax family known to have lived here since the 14th century; the descendants including Robert Fairfax, composer, c1500 (previous list description) and Sir Guy Fairfax, prominent Yorkist in the Wars of the Roses. Used as a girls' boarding school in the C19. H. Speight,Lower Wharfedale, 1902. NMR (full photographic record of house prior to C20 renovation).

Listing NGR: SE4425247695

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H , Lower Wharfedale, (1902), 387, 395

National Grid Reference: SE 44252 47695

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 03:11:30.

End of official listing