4A, ST MARYS SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135168

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Statutory Address: 4A, ST MARYS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4A, ST MARYS SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 17:37:12.

Location

Statutory Address: 4A, ST MARYS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85762 63847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE 639-1/11/624 (North side) 12/07/72 No.4A

GV II

House and office. Built 1811/12 as a Methodist Chapel. Used after 1878 as a stay manufactory and subsequently partly for commercial and partly for domestic purposes. Red brick; fully hipped pantiled roof with a wide paired modillion eaves soffit. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 3 window range to the south front: small-paned sashes with semicircular heads, radiating glazing bars, plain reveals and gauged brick arches. A large central C20 entrance has paired pilasters and a heavy cornice hood; glazed double doors. The east front has an upper row of 3 small-paned sashes in plain reveals with flat gauged arches. A lean-to along the rear, which contains the stair to the upper storey, was added after 1878 and incorporates part of the east garden wall of No.4 (qv). A plaque in the wall reads 'This wall belongs to (name illegible) 1827'. INTERIOR: 2 rows of reused C17 timber posts support the upper floor, inserted after 1878 when the building ceased to be used as a chapel. On the upper storey the north wall has 2 former window openings with semicircular heads, one blocked, the other made into a doorway. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 150).







Listing NGR: TL8576263847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467356

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 150

End of official listing