WINDING HOUSE, HEAPSTEAD AND HEADSTOCK AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135482

Date first listed: 06-May-1988

Statutory Address: WINDING HOUSE, HEAPSTEAD AND HEADSTOCK AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINDING HOUSE, HEAPSTEAD AND HEADSTOCK AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 21:29:53.

Location

Statutory Address: WINDING HOUSE, HEAPSTEAD AND HEADSTOCK AT CAPHOUSE COLLIERY, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Sitlington

National Grid Reference: SE 25341 16451

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE21NE SITLINGTON NEW ROAD (north side), Middlestown

6/42 Winding house, - heapstead and headstock at Caphouse Colliery

GV II*

Winding house, heapstead and headstock. 1876 and later. Coursed, squared stone winding house with stone slate roof. The heapstead has a stone base, the upper part is of brick with steel and concrete reinforcement, and an asbestos roof. The headstock is wooden with later steelwork. The winding house has a central doorway up stone steps and has a tablet reading:

"ELK (Emma Lister Kaye) 1876"

Round-arched window to each side. 2 similar windows to rear, one now a doorway. The base of the heapstead has round-arched, brick-vaulted openings to the shaft head. A 1987 stone building has been added to the north side in keeping with the winding house. Concrete and brickwork encloses the upper part and has a hipped asbestos roof. The headstock tapers and the wooden sections are plated at the joints, the lower sections encased in concrete. Cast-iron spoked winding wheels. Later steel work ramps down to the winding house. The wooden headstock is thought to be the last surviving example in Yorkshire.- The winding house contains the original Davy Bros. twin cylinder steam winding engine, which was used regularly until 1974, and occasionally until 1981. The shaft is thought to date from 1791 and was sunk for James Milnes. The lease was bought by Sir John Lister Kaye of Denby Grange in 1827. A new company took over in 1917. Other attached buildings not included in the list.

Listing NGR: SE2534116451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342535

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing