SILCOATES HOUSE AND SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135492

Date first listed: 06-May-1988

Statutory Address: SILCOATES HOUSE AND SCHOOL, SILCOATES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SILCOATES HOUSE AND SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:22:04.

Location

Statutory Address: SILCOATES HOUSE AND SCHOOL, SILCOATES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE3109822092

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE32SW STANLEY SILCOATES LANE (south side), Wrenthorpe

4/60 Silcoates House and - School

- II

House and school. The house built c1748 for John Lumb, the school 1870s (mainly destroyed) 1907 and later, in-keeping. Brick with ashlar bands and dressings to principal openings. Welsh slate roofs. 2 and 3 storeys. The main house is symmetrical and consists of a 3-storey range of 3 bays with 2- storey, 2-bay side wings. The centre bay is set in a recessed giant round- arched panel. Central round-arched doorway with Tuscan engaged colonettes rising from ground-floor sill band supporting a frieze and triangular dentilled pediment. Two-storey canted bays to each side with colonnettes dividing the 3-lights and ogee domed roofs. 12-pane sashes. Five 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Moulded brackets to gutter. Lateral stacks. Hipped roof. 12-pane sashes to side wings. The school extends to the left with a 2-storey range, with 7-bays of ground-floor casements and 1st-floor sashes and casements. Between bays 5 and 6 is a giantpedimented projecting wing with a giant Venetian window flanked by paired Ionic pilasters. Foundation tablets at base, oculus in tympanum. Further to the left is another 3-storey range, possibly 1870s, almost identical to the main house but with a further 2 bays at the left side. Further range to the left and left return, in- keeping, but of lesser interest. The rear of the house has a central projecting wing with a round-arched stair window. Further later additions. Interior: not inspected but house is said to retain original stair and moulded ceilings. The house passed from the possession of the Lumb family to the Kendal family. In 1820 it was leased by Dissenters who formed the Yorkshire Dissenters' Grammar School which in 1831 became the Congregational School for the Counties of York and Lancaster and in 1832 was renamed the Northern Congregational School. Further building took place in the 1870s and the 5- bay 3-storey range may be a survival of this period. Much of the school was destroyed in a fire of April 13th 1904. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967. K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage, 1975. (Wakefield EAHY Committee)

Listing NGR: SE3109822092

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342553

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1975)

End of official listing