HORBURY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1135510

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-May-1988

Statutory Address: HORBURY HALL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HORBURY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:23:35.

Location

Statutory Address: HORBURY HALL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29542 18336

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE2918 HORBURY CHURCH STREET (south side)

9/4 Horbury Hall (formerly 15.2.66 listed as Nos 13, 15 and 17)

GV 1

Hall house. Timber frame of between 1478 (dendro date) and 1492 (documentary evidence). Built for the Amyas family. The hall was floored and a central stack inserted c.1700. Encased C18 and later in several stages. (Undergoing restoration at time of survey, 1987). Clad mainly in brick, part rendered, the front wall partly in deeply coursed stone. Stone slate roof. Two storeys. Two-bay open Hall, one-bay solar with chamber beneath. The 3-bay front has 2 entrances and C19 and C20 windows not of special interest. Rendered ridge stack between bays 1 and 2. Interior: open hall of 2 bays now floored and divided by the inserted brick stack, and a solar bay to the right (west) which has the original floor with provision for a semicircular stair to the rear right. King-post trusses on posts (front post to truss No. 2 is missing). Two intermediate open, moulded and arched-braced collared trusses in the hall. Two-purlin roof with exceptionally fine and rare cusped windbracing. An additional tie-beam to the left of truss 3 formerly supported the top of a coved dias canopy and, along with the tie-beam to truss 2, is brattished and decoratively carved with roses and shields bearing the Amyas coat-of-arms. The rear post to truss 2 (south side) is also richly moulded. Studding extant in trusses 3 and 4 at lst-floor level but it is thought that the right wall (truss 4) and the rear wall were originally of stone at lower level. C18 plaster ceiling cornice and corner cupboard in ground-floor left room. The house terminates at the left end with a spere-truss; formerly there was a cross-passage and a further wing to the left (east) which were demolished in 1938. The structure represents a very complete survival of a C15 gentry house, the spere-truss and cusped windbracing being the only examples yet identified in Yorkshire. D. J. H. Michelmore and J. Sugden. 'Horbury Hall, West Yorkshire' 1980. Archaeological Journal 137, p.403-6. C. Giles. Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830. 1986. RCHME. K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage. 1975. Wakefield EAHY Committee.

Listing NGR: SE2954218334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342497

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Giles, C, Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, (1986)
Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1975)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 137, (1980), 403-6

End of official listing