BOWCLIFFE HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135644

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: BOWCLIFFE HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS, GREAT NORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWCLIFFE HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:28:55.

Location

Statutory Address: BOWCLIFFE HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS, GREAT NORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe

National Grid Reference: SE 42496 42249

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE GREAT NORTH ROAD SE44SW LS23 (west side, off) 1/44 Bowcliffe Hall and 30.3.66 attached screen walls (Formerly listed as Bowcliffe Hall)

II

Mansion, now offices,and attached screen walls. Circa 1805 for William Robinson, completed c.1825 for John Smyth, subsequently altered and enlarged for Lane Fox family (of Bramham Park, q.v.). Magnesian limestone ashlar, slate roof. Long rectangular double-pile plan. Two and 3 storeys, 15 x 3 bays, in classical style; symmetrical tripartite composition with 2-storey 5-bay centre flanked by 5-bay wings of 2 lower storeys (but 2nd storey added to left wing), each element itself symmetrical. Centre block has 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, Tuscan porch protecting panelled door with semicircular fanlight, and above the porch a tripartite window with Ionic architrave including an apron with blind balustrade and segmental pediment breaking the modillioned cornice of the major pediment above; sillbands to both floors, 12-pane sashed windows, modillioned cornice and low parapets to the outer bays. The wings are slightly set back, each has a slightly-projected 3-bay centre, the centre of which has a coved niche containing a statue at ground floor and an oculus above; a sillband and four 12-pane sashes at ground floor, 4 square 6-pane sashes at 1st floor, a moulded cornice and low parapet (stepped up over the projected centre); right wing has an urn on the centre of the parapet; left wing has an added 2nd storey in matching style, with 12-pane sashes; low-pitched hipped roofs with ridge chimneys. Attached to the outer end of each wing, a quadrant screen wall with a doorway. Return walls and rear in similar style. Interior: contains entrance hall and imperial staircase with Ionic screen at ground floor and Corinthian screen at 1st floor. History: William Robinson, the 1st builder, was a Manchester cotton spinner, became bankrupt and completed only the right (west) wing; building completed by John Smyth; in later C19 purchased and enlarged by Lane Fox family as residence during dereliction and repair of Bramham Park (q.v.); in C20 was home of Robert Blackburn, founder of Blackburn Aircraft Company.

Listing NGR: SE4249642249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 342205

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing