CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135652.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:49:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
- Bardsey cum Rigton
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 36561 43123
BARDSEY-CUM-RIGTON CHURCH LANE, LS17 (east side) Church of All Hallows
GV I Parish church. Anglo-Saxon tower between 850-950 raised later C10, parapet early C20, north aisle Norman, c1100-1125; south aisle Transitional, c1175-1200; aisles widened C14 with Perpendicular windows inserted C15; chancel early C14; much restored north chapel c1520, now the vicar's vestry; south chapel built as the Bayley family pew c1724 now choir vestry; roof raised C19; restored 1909 by Charles R. Chorley and Son (Leeds) (Linstrum, p374). Red sandstone coursed rubble to tower and aisles; hammer-dressed gritstone to clerestorey, chancel and south transept; ashlar porch and dressings to restored windows; stone slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave with clerestorey, south porch, north and south chapels, chancel. Slender tower embraced by aisles gives the west front an unusual appearance as if the tower were rising out of a gable. Long and short work on this face: 8 courses of large dressed quoins; masonry disturbed from insertion of 2-light Perpendicular window matching flanking windows set in west end of aisles with C12 lancets set between tower; earlier roof line of aisles clearly discernible as is steeply-pitched gable on tower, thought to indicate the presence of an original pre-Conquest porch (Pevsner, p90). West and north faces of tower have a small light under lancet and inserted 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows with clock-face to north; south face has two C12 two-light baluster belfry windows; east face has traces of herringbone masonry; embattled parapet with corbel table (restored). Nave: 3 bays. Gabled porch set in 1st bay protects repositioned fine-carved Norman south doorway: 3 orders, outer with beakhead ornament, chevron, plain inner, carried on 2 engaged columns with decorated capitals and moulded impost. Aisles, with offset buttresses, and clerestorey have 2-light windows; north doorway has pointed arch. North chapel: single bay, extension of aisle with buttress between. South chapel, at right angles has coped gable flush with aisle, offset buttress, set in apex is stone carved with 5 blind trefoils, gable stack. Its right return has 2-light window (restored). Lower single-bay chancel: has angle buttresses and 3-light east window with round-headed lights, Y-tracery filled with mouchettes; on south, priest's door to left of original C14 two-light window with cusped lights in deeply-chamfered surround. Interior: base of tower has round-arched doorway with stilted-arched window above in north and south faces. Original 4 angles of the pre-Conquest nave still remain: projecting corners with large dressed quoins to west and ½ columns on tall square bases with different capitals. Western tower-arch altered, (enlarged) in line with chancel arch, has 3 discernible roof lines: a flat roof, 2 steeply-pitched roof lines before present slightly flatter-pitched roof. North arcade has short cylindrical columns with scolloped capitals and round-arched arcade. South arcade taller with bell-shaped capitals with curled-leaf corners and pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Chancel: north Tudor-arch blocked by organ inserted c1867 (replaced 1934) with small cusped light to left; south wall has two C14 pointed-arched windows with a lower cusped light. Sanctuary: 3-niche sedilia with ogee lintels of C19 character, C15 piscina has trefoil-cusped arch. Memorials: chancel: carved stone tablet to Charles Lister c1684 decorated with winged-head angel spandrels; memorial to Richard Capstick, flat obelisk marble tablet by J. Parker c1685; good wall tablet to Elizabeth Thorpe wife of Baron Thorpe c1666, strapwork cartouche with broken pediment with heraldic lozenge; 2 funeral tablets to the Lane-Fox family of Bramham (q.v.). Base of tower has 2 upright medieval grave slabs, one decorated with a cross. Royal Coat of Arms c1819 and Benefactions board in south chapel. C19 king-post roof of heavy scantling.
The church is of considerable importance. The tower is probably the oldest Saxon work in Yorkshire and the only example in the county of the former evidence of a west porch, the tower being erected over it as at Monkwearmouth and Corbridge. It is prominent within the village and has a remarkable visual appearance, the tower curiously thin in proportion to the rest of the church. Illustrated in: R. A. Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p6. D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978) p158. E. Pontefract and M. Hartley, The Charm of Yorkshire Churches, (no date) p15. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) pp89,90.
Listing NGR: SE3655843124
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Carter, R , A Visitors Guide to Yorkshire Churches, (1976), 6
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 158
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 89-90
Pontefract, E, Hartley, M , The Charm of Yorkshire Churches15
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing