BARDSEY GRANGE AND CONGREVE COTTAGE INCLUDING WALL ATTACHED TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1135656
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
BARDSEY GRANGE AND CONGREVE COTTAGE INCLUDING WALL ATTACHED TO REAR, CORN MILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135656.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 15:42:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARDSEY GRANGE AND CONGREVE COTTAGE INCLUDING WALL ATTACHED TO REAR, CORN MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Bardsey cum Rigton
National Grid Reference:
SE 36714 43395

Details

BARDSEY-CUM-RIGTON CORN MILL LANE SE34SE LS17 (south side) SE367434

7/7 Bardsey Grange and 5.2.73 Congreve Cottage including wall attached to rear (formerly listed as Bardsey Grange and wall to west of Bardsey Grange )

GV II

Large farmhouse, now 2 dwellings, and attached wall. Dated 1717, but perhaps with a C17 inner core, mid-late C18 extension, windows altered early-mid C19. Coursed rubble, partly-rendered, hammer-dressed stone to extension; red tile roof; brick stacks. T-shaped. 3-cell through-passage plan with rear wing and cell added to right end. Five 1st-floor windows. Quoins at junction with added cell. Doorway with mid-C20 gabled stone porch has small window above. To left, 2 windows with one above; to right, 2 windows with same above all with monolithic lintels, projecting sills and 4-pane sashes in flush-wood architraves. Added cell has doorway with monolithic lintel to left of single bay of sash windows. Gable stacks and 2 other ridge stacks, decorative tile ridge. Rear, from left: addition has doorway with margin-dressed lintel and narrow window above to right of window with keyed lintel, another above with monolithic lintel. Wing breaks forward and has gable stack and in its right return blocked doorway with tie stone jambs and dated lintel to left of sash window and inserted doorway with sash above. Main house, set back, has 3 bays of windows as front. Attached to left corner of rear wing is wall, probably C18. Large dressed sandstone blocks with ashlar coping pierced by gateway with margin-dressed piers with curved tops.

Baron Thorpe, treasurer to Oliver Cromwell c1649 lived for part of each year at Bardsey Grange. He died in 1665 and is buried in the Church of All Hallows (q.v.). The house was also the birthplace of William Congreve who was baptised in the nearby church 10th February 1669 but is buried in Westminster Abbey.

D. Crane Taylor, William Congreve (1931). J. C. Hodges, William Congreve, the Man (1941).

Listing NGR: SE3671443395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342133
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hodges, J C , William Congreve The Man, (1941)
Taylor, D , William Congreve, (1931)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02956/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].