CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1135699

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:45:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newton Tony

National Grid Reference: SU 21772 40242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON TONY NEWTON TONEY SU 24 SW (north east side) 2/112 Church of St Andrew 18.2.58 II

Anglican parish church. 1844, by T.H. Wyatt and Brandon. Flint with limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Four bay nave with south porch at west end, raised as steeple. Two bays chancel with lean- to vestry. Nave has 2-light Decorated style windows between buttresses, 3-light reticulated west window and 3-light east window. Continuous string at window sill level. Chancel has single light south window. Porch has moulded south door and angle buttresses, raised as bell tower, with 2-light bell openings and capped with shingled broach spire. Bench mark on tower. Interior: Nave, rendered, of 5 bays. Open roof with tie beam trusses bracketed from wall corbels, king post and arch braces forming two pointed arches. Chancel arch chamfered, chancel cement finished, 2 bays with cruck-like braces from carved corbels to a high collar. Fittings: Font, at west end, probably C13, a bowl on a short column on step. Pulpit, reading desk, sanctuary rail and altar table all of carved oak. Monuments: In chancel, 2 wall tablets on north side, (a) Corniced white panel on veined black marble, to Price family, 1824 to 1864. (b) Gothic niche, to John Peill, rector, died 1872, both by Osmund of Sarum. In nave: 12 wall monuments. North wall from east, (a) Large Purbeck marble panel. Mid C17. Moulded edge and engraved arms. Good lettering, to Nathaniell Fiennes, son of 'Lord Say and Seale', died 1669, his wife Frances, died 1691, daughters Frances and Elizabeth, and surviving daughters Mary and Cecilia (Celia) Fiennes, diarist and traveller, who died at Hackney, 10th April 1741. (b) Marble, panelled with strapwork border, painted shield set at angle above, and crest and motto. To Sir Alexander Malet Bt, royal envoy and minister to the Germanic Federation. He died 1886. (c) Marble panel with tapered pilasters, triangular apron, and pair of entwined wreaths against grey field. To Henry and Ann Earle, died 1791. On west wall: (d) Fossil limestone tablet, to Lt.Col Sir Harry Malet, died 1931, and (e) Classical marble aedicule with broken pediment and bust in niche. Panel below with inscription to Dame Marion Malet, died 1891. On south wall (f) Alabaster and serpentine monument in C17 style. Gilded inscription flanked by columns, entablature supporting coloured and mantled supported arms. Strapwork apron below. To Sir Edward Malet, died 1908. (g) Purbeck marble panel. Latin inscription with incised skull and crossed bones below, to Ann Jones, died 1652. Poor condition. (h) White marble panel framed in grey marble. Short inscription to William Benson Earle, died 1796. (i) Simple marble panel with ogee top, to Harriett Wapshare, died 1814. (j) White marble tablet on grey, by Osmund of Sarum. Pediment with crossed swords, and arms in garter. To George Granville Malet, died in action in Persia, 1856. Also 8 other C19 and C20 Malet brasses including one cast bronze, a child guided by angel, to Sir Charles Malet, died 1918. Brass framed in wood, commemorating various members of family of William Benson of Wilbury, from 1721 to 1790. Over door: Carved and gilded Royal Arms with shield of pretence. Furniture: Large C17 panelled and carved chest with divided lid. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU2177240242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing