This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1135725

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, A338

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winterbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINTERBOURNE A338, Winterbourne Earls SU 13 SE (east side) 6/179 Church of St Michael and All Angels II

Anglican parish church. 1867 by T.H. Wyatt, incorporating fragments of earlier churches of Winterbourne Earls and Dauntsey. Flint with limestone dressings and banding, tiled roof. Nave, south aisle, chancel and south-west tower raised over porch. North vestry. Nave has square headed 2-light. windows, but one 3-light late C15 window with panelled head and quatrefoils in angles. Three light west window. Aisle has similar but shorter 2-light windows. Chancel has lancets, triple at east end, and south priest's door. Tower at south west end of aisle, 3 stages with 2- light bell openings of C14 type, crenellated parapet and corner gargoyles, and central pinnacle to each face. Tiled pyramidal roof. Built into walls are 3 early medieval cross slabs, 1 at east end, 2 on tower. Mass dial on south-west tower buttress. Moulded Bath stone door, and inner door to interior. Interior: Nave of 4 bays, with 3-bay arcade to aisle. Arch braced collar roof with exposed rafters, and large carved corbels. Wide chancel arch, the chancel raised 3 steps and tiled, and trussed rafter roof. No piscina, aumbrey or reredos. Fittings: Font, ?C12, a plain bowl on later octagonal pedestal. Pulpit, mid C17, panelled, the upper panel and frieze carved, all on C19 pedestal. Altar rails, painted timber arches. Monuments: In chancel, north wall, part of floor slab remounted in 1952, allegedly Cardinal Walter Winterbourne, died 1304. A relief figure arising, holding his heart. Nave, north wall, C17 aedicule, painted and gilded limestone with marble columns and Purbeck slab bearing gilded inscription. Broken scrolled pediment over and coloured mantled arms. To John Nicholas, died 1662. West wall: a) Shaped marble slab with white marble panel hung with drapery, to Ann Elliott, died 1787, and b) Aedicule, coloured marbles, with triangular pediment and putti on apron, to Nicholas Elliott, died 1776, and Jane his widow. In aisle: 6 wall tablets. From east: a) White on black slate, by White of Bath, to William and Elizabeth Dyke, died 1846. b) Similar, to Dyke Skinner, died 1823. c) Similar, to John Thomas Skinner, died 1826. d) White marble on grey, with sculpted arms, to Skinner Dyke Clarke, died 1826. e) White shield on grey, by White, to Ann Heddon, died 1829, and f) Tablet with cornice. Crest and arms against grey marble, by Osmund of Sarum, to various members of Dyke family from 1745 to 1830. g) Cushioned oval hung with leaves, by King of Bath to Thomas Dyke, died 1805. Furniture: Late C16-early C17 Communion table at west end of nave. Brass: On wall, 1661, to Canon Matthew Nicholas. Two separate mantled arms. In porch: An indented slab with quatrefoiled frieze and panelled sides, the brass missing, a kneeling figure with inscription and three separate coats of arms. Glass: Two C13 roundels mounted against north window, one a man and praying woman at shrine, the second, angels raising a corpse. C19 coloured glass in chancel lancets. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)

Listing NGR: SU1747434494

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 17474 34494

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:36:45.

End of official listing