Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1135735
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Street, Hampstead Norreys

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135735.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:15:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Church Street, Hampstead Norreys

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hampstead Norreys
National Grid Reference:
SU 52932 76259

Details

SU 57 NW 9/20

HAMPSTEAD NORREYS CHURCH STREET (South side) Church of St. Mary

24.11.66

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, mostly rebuilt C13, extended and tower added C15, nave roof dated 1635; restored, largely internally in 1880 when the vestry and chancel arch were added by Arthur Baker. Roughcast and flint with Bath stone dressings, old tile roof, the western part of the nave has a higher ridge. Nave, chancel, north vestry, organ chamber, north porch and west tower.

Tower: two stages divided by moulded string courses; plinth, C19 embattled parapet and western angled buttresses extended to nearly half the height of the second stage. On the west and south, below the first string course, are small windows with pointed heads, one on each face. On the west wall is a late C15 doorway with a four-centred arch under a square head and an old planked door with plain iron hinges. Above it is a late C15 three-light window with tracery and a two-centred head. In the north face of the bell chamber is a window of two trefoiled lights, with a four-centred head. Two-light windows with two-centred heads on the west and south faces. There is a rectangular stair turret on the north side reaching to the first stage.

Nave; north side: two C13 lancet windows in the east end, the first with a chalk head; the third and fourth windows are C19. Between the two lancet windows is a C12 doorway in a C15 porch, with chamfered jambs and a semi-circular arch, moulded abacus and a double billet moulded label.

Nave; south side: at the east end at high level, a small C15 trefoiled ogee light inserted to give light to the former rood loft. Further west are two two-light C19 windows and a C12 doorway now blocked, with a semi-circular arch.

Chancel: two C13 lancet windows on the east wall and a restored plan lancet in the north wall; to the west of this is a C19 vestry doorway. On the south wall are two single lights, and between them a C13 priest's doorway, now blocked.

Interior: early C17 six bay double trenched purlin roof to nave, with arch race collars, moulded pendants and scissor bracing above collar. A three bay early C15 double trenched purlin roof over chancel with arch braced collars and curved wind braces; the easternmost bray a planked barrel roof with cusped ribs, probably C19. The chancel arch is C19 with foliated capitals. At the east end of the north wall of the nave are the remaining stairs to the former rood loft. Near the west jamb of the north doorway, is a deep aumbry with rebated jambs and a bolt hole, and a damaged piscina on the south wall of the nave at the east end. Beside the C19 font, is an earlier marble font on a fluted shaft, which was given by Mr.Benj. Matthews in 1768. Fixed against the blocked south doorway, is an early C13 carved stone knight on horseback in low relief, contained in a glass case. To the east of this is a C13 wall painting of our lady.

Listing NGR: SU5293376254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
39929
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 78
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 150
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16850/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David S. Biggin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].