CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135747

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, WAVERTON VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135747 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 12:12:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, WAVERTON VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Waverton

National Grid Reference: SJ 46180 63355

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 SE WAVERTON C.P. THE VILLAGE (East Side)

2/28 Church of St. Peter

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: tower C16, aisles and nave roof early-mid C17, restoration and additions dated 1845, and 1888 by John Douglas when clerestorey rebuilt. Ashlar Waverton red sandstone, Lakeland green slate roof. 3-bay nave, 1-bay chancel with continuous north and south aisles. 3-stage west tower. Nave bays are divided by buttresses and have rectangular windows of 3 round-headed lights. On south side is a blocked basket-arched door and a late C19 window of 2 ogee-headed lights. Similar round-headed light windows in clerestorey. 3-light perpendicular-style east window with round-headed light windows in the end of the aisles. Tower has angle buttresses and good 4-centred arched west doorway with arms in the spandrels below a label mould on figure stops. Central figure seated on hood mould flanked by the arms of the Dutton and Hatton families. 4-light Perpendicular window of 1888, square opening with quatrefoil, under hood mould and louvred 3-light bell opening in the top stage, below an embattled parapet. Late C19 recessed, shingled pyramidal roof. Interior: Entry into re-opened tower porch with plaques recording the restorations. Tall tower arch on applied hexagonal piers opens into nave with 3-bay arcades on octagonal piers. Restored hammer-beamed roof dated 1635 with carved brackets and pendants has dentilled arrises to arch braces and window braced purlins. Contemporary lean-to aisle roofs have similar decorative treatment. Chancel is timber framed internally (perhaps copying original treatment) and has good fittings of late C19/early C20 including a memorial pulpit of 1903 to the 1st Duke of Westminster. Very detailed board of customary table of tithes in porch.



Listing NGR: SJ4618063355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55540

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing