This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1135848



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: West Berkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Sulhamstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 66 NW 3/43 25.10.51


Folly Farmhouse And Entrance Court To East

G.V. I

Farmhouse now house. Circa 1650, enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1906 in a free William and Mary style and again in 1911 in a Neo Venacular style. North wing: C17 and 1914. Red brick, timber framed with red brick nogging and plaster panels, and old tile roof. 3 framed bays, that to right of 1914. East front: 1 storey to right and 2 storeys to left. Hipped eaves dormer to rear with 2- light casement. Large mullioned and transomed window to right, 2 first floor 2-light casements to left, and 2 ground floor 3-light casements flanked by 2-light casements; panelled door between first and second windows from left with C18 carved architrave and Console brackets supporting cornice. East block: grey brick with red brick and ashlar dressings, and hipped old tile roof. H-plan. South front: one storey centre with 2 storey wings. Gauged window heads, ground floor window aprons, chainage, chamfered quoins, plat band, 2 central ridge stacks on wings with arched panels, and stack and 2 hipped semi dormers to rear. 3 bay centre with 2 bay wings. 3 tall central segmental headed 6-light mullioned and transomed leaded windows, and 2-light leaded casements in wings. 2 bay return fronts with 2-light leaded casement to north, first floor blind circular windows to south, and glazed doors beneath with moulded architraves, central uncarved blocks above, pulvinated frieze, and cornice. East front: central first floor 2-light leaded casement with louvred shutters, ground floor 2-light leaded casement to left, and central doorway with moulded architrave, blank panel above, and off-set door behind. West block: red brick, some first floor tile hanging to left, weatherboarded gable end to south, and old tile roof with catslide over loggia to south-east. Irregular T-plan with circular dairy to north. 1½ and 2 storeys. 2 hipped dormers with 2-light leaded casements to south and one to east; large 2 storey hipped canted bay to west consisting of battered ground floor with arches to north and south, and open first floor with balustraded sleeping balcony; large stack adjoining sleeping balcony to north with central rectangular dummy shaft flanked by 2 diamond shafts. South front: square pool courtyard to right consisting of L-shaped loggia with battered piers, 4 bays to right with glazed doors behind, and 3 bays in left-hand return front with 2- light casements behind and round arch at south-end; projecting square porch in angle, and steps into pool at north-west and south-east corners; 2 storey canted bay in left-hand gable end with leaded mullioned and transomed windows. Entrance Court: approximately 10 metres square. Red brick panelled walls with tiled coping, approximately 3 metres high. Central semi-circular arches to north, south and west with segmental relieving arches, and tiled spandrels; arch to west has gate with radial fanlight. Wall extended to north-east to connect with barn (q.v.) Interior:1906 block: central double-height hall with coved ceiling and first floor balcony at each end and fireplace to north; drawing room with arched glazed cupboards flanking fireplace; 1912 block: dining room with frescoes by Sir William Nicholson, and very large chimneypiece; panelled library. Free Arts & Crafts fittings throughout. Gardens designed by Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. R. Gradidge, Edwin Lutyens Architect Laureate London, 1981. See also Edwin Lutyens, exhibition catalogue Hayward Gallery, London, 1981. B.0.E. (Berks), pp. 231-2; County Life Vol.Ll,Jan. 28, 1922, pp. 112-119, and Feb 4, 1922, pp.146-153.

Listing NGR: SU6308368919

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gradidge, R, Edwin Lutyens Architect Laureate, (1981)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 231-2
'Country Life' in 28 January, , Vol. 51, (1922), 112-119
'Arts Council of Great Britain Catalogue' in The Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens 1889-1944, (1981)
'Country Life' in 4 February, , Vol. 51, (1922), 146-153
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 3 Berkshire,

National Grid Reference: SU6308368919


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:27:52.

End of official listing