TUDOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135891

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 13,15 AND 17, HATTERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUDOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:04:50.

Location

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 13,15 AND 17, HATTERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sodbury

National Grid Reference: ST 72969 82281

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7282 SE SODBURY HATTER'S LANE 5/47 (north side)

17.9.52 Nos 13, 15 and 17 (Tudor House) GV II*

Cl4 altered C15 onwards. Mediaeval open hall house of raised cruck truss construction. Recent research suggests C14 origins with possible addition of oriel (now removed) in C15 and then further alterations since.

Rendered with quoins exposed at east end. Pantile roof, Double Roman tiles at rear. Single storey partly with attic and with 2-storey gabled cross wing at west end with bracketted, jettied, timber-framed upper floor.

Three windows and one in cross-wing: from east; 4-light oak moulded mullion and transoms; 2 modern windows in original jambs of former cross-windows; 20 pane sash on ground floor and oriel on first floor, or cross-wing, with moulded mullions. Plank door with cast iron strap hinges and heavy wooden frame.

East elevation has large projecting stacks with off-sets; 6-light stone mullion and transom window with 4-central arch heads (3 lights to north are good modern replicas). North (rear) elevation has one-storey modern lean-to and extension to cross-wing.

Interior: Roof - 4 raised cruck trusses with arch-braced collars and one row of windbraces. An open hall of 3 or 4 bays with parlour and upper chamber at east end, cross passage and service rooms, replaced by cross wing.

East end bay has parlour with C16 cross-beam ceiling with double ogee moulding and converging stops, low fireplace with stone jambs: above stone fireplace with chamfered and stopped jambs.

Main hall: west wall has stone fireplace with 4 centred arch head and hollow chamfers; north wall, large blocked 2-centred arch with ogee and hollow moulding. West wall has internal jetty supporting timber-framed partition.

West room: beyond site of cross-passage, has chamfered and stopped beams. Above this 2 rooms: larger one has C16 stone fireplace with shouldered head and projecting shelf and next to it an open cupboard with 3 shaped shelves with carved door and panel above. Two doorways with depressed 4-centred arch heads and a small 3-light casement window with ovolo moulded mullions and leaded lights.

See also:

E. Mercer English Vernacular houses R.C.H.M.

L. Hall (forthcoming)

Listing NGR: ST7296382285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34094

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975)
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

End of official listing