PARISH'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1135909

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Statutory Address: PARISH'S HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:36:59.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH'S HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Timsbury

National Grid Reference: ST 67338 58714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIMSBURY C.P. - ST 65 NE 2/21 Parish's House 21.9.60 G.V. II* House. Circa 1816 massive extension of earlier house, now office wing. Attributed to Thomas Baldwin of Bath for Captain Parish R.N. Ashlar, rubble, slate roofs. Main block, 3 bay by 3 bay square, has as unifying features, angle pilasters, flat cill band and cornice, the entrance elevation has all sashes, those at ground floor in marginally set back wings and then in turn in arched recesses, they flank the central bay dominated by a large convex porch with Doric order, side lights and central curved stone door under hood on consoles; garden elevation has a central 2 storey bow,sashes above, french windows below recessed panels between, all still fitted with original sliding louvred shutters, the whole flanked by tri-partite sashes below, sashes above; the joining west elevation is extremely plain, ground has tall sashes, centre blocked below recessed panels, five plain sashes; office wing, also 2 storeys, 3 windows has, to garden 3 sashes above a colonnade now behind a C20 glazed conservatory and to entrance, sashes with, off-centre right a round headed door with fanlight. Interior: very little altered and in very good decorative order, inner porch and top lit stairwell have a very subtle play of curved planes, ornate wrought and cast iron handrail intact as are doors, architraves, cornices, early blown air central heating system. For further description see source. (Source: Christopher Hussey : Country Life, XCVI, 24-27 and 68-71, July, 1944).

Listing NGR: ST6733858714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32873

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 14 July, , Vol. 96, (1944), 68-71
'Country Life' in 7 July, , Vol. 96, (1944), 24-27

End of official listing