GATES, OVERTHROW, SIDE SCREEN GATEPIERS AND STEPS, WITH HANDRAILS, SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1135998
Date first listed:
28-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
GATES, OVERTHROW, SIDE SCREEN GATEPIERS AND STEPS, WITH HANDRAILS, SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1135998.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:17:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATES, OVERTHROW, SIDE SCREEN GATEPIERS AND STEPS, WITH HANDRAILS, SOUTH EAST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Malpas
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48695 47194

Details

MALPAS C.P. CHURCH STREET SJ 44 NE (North Side) 2/34 Gates, overthrow, side- screen gatepiers and steps, with handrails, south-east corner of churchyard. GV II*

Pair of gates, overthrow, 1 sidescreen, gatepiers, steps and handrails, the gates made for Oulton Park, probably 1720's (at time of Vanbrugh's work there) , and moved to Malpas churchyard 1773 (Churchwardens' Accounts); the piers and steps probably 1773. Gates, overthrow, sidescreen and handrails of wrought iron; piers and steps of red sandstone. Each gate has dogbars, a panel of leafy scrollwork and an ornate top-rail. The overthrow is of leafy scrollwork; Egerton crest. Sidescreen on south side only of the gates. Piers of masonry have a tall recessed panel on each side, projecting plinths and moulded cornices carrying ornate urn finials. Flight of 8 stone steps carried on retaining wall with panel inscribed Jos.Duckers: Thomas Taylor: Church Wardens: 1823 (see item 93). Plain wrought iron handrails. One of 2 pairs of Oulton Park gates: see also item 36. In design, the gates and overthrow are excellent.

Listing NGR: SJ4869647196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55577
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00321/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geraint Wyn Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].