Church of St. Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Hill, East Ilsley


Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136120.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:01:30.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Hill, East Ilsley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
East Ilsley
National Grid Reference:
SU 49330 80918


SU 48 SE 3/30




Church. C13 with C19 additions and C15, C17 and C19 restorations. Render over flint with dressed Bath stone quoins and dressings, Bath stone ashlar north aisle and porch; tiled roofs, slate roof on north aisle and porch. Nave, chancel, west tower and south aisle C13; north porch and north aisle C19.

North elevation: to left chancel with two trefoil headed single light windows; to centre north aisle with three-light windows under square heads and label moulds flanking gabled north porch; to right tower; two stages with plinth, angle buttresses and crenellated parapet, stair turret in angle between tower and nave, one single-light window off centre in first stage, clock in upper stage beneath two-light window with cusped ogee-headed lights under label mould, grotesque head at base of parapet.

South elevation: to left-tower with blocked single-light window in upper stage; to centre-south aisle with lancets flanking central two-light square headed window enlarged below original cill to form mullion and transom window, memorial slab to W.A. Black Aller died 1753 to right, two mass clocks cut into right quoin of aisle; to right-chancel with low brick wall across angle between aisle and chancel, one trefoil headed window, central porch with flintwork exposed and four-centred arched doorway, one segmental pointed arched window with chevron pattern drip mould.

Interior: plastered walls, Chancel: tall crown post roof of two bays, two lancets with wide rear arches to north and south walls, lancet and oculus to east wall aumbry under segmental pointed arch with chevron carving to north wall; Chancel arch: four-centred arch with double chamfer springing from carved, heads at corbels. Nave: tall crown post roof of three bays, three bay arcade to south of chamfered pointed arches on short columns with moulded bases and simple caps, small grotesque head carved at springing of eastern arch, three bay arcade to north of four-centred arches on slender piers. Tower arch: two centred arch with moulded soffit and 1625 carved on south impost. South aisle: collared roof with double butt purlins and curved wind braces, three bays with intermediate collars, trefoil piscina in south wall remains of arch to rood stair at junction with nave and chancel. North aisle: four bay king post roof.

Memorials: marble plaque with broken pediment and scutcheon of arms to Joseph Barnes and his wife (died 1753) on south wall of sanctuary.

Fittings: C17 communion rail of alternating twisted and turned balusters with moulded rail; hexagonal C17 pulpit with carved panels; font in north aisle stone-bowl with nine sided top and carved arcade set on C20 stone base.

Listing NGR: SU4932980918


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 134
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11398/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].