CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136209.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:32:25.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- Stanton Drew
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 59781 63128
ST 56 SE STANTON DREW C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)
3/105 Church of St. Mary 21..9.60 G.V. II*
Parish church. Possibly C13 origin, C15, nave rebuilt 1848, chancel rainwater head dated 1880, much remodelled 1889 and 1897, particularly interior. Limestone and sandstone rubble, tower in coursed rubble with limestone ashlar parapet, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, some double Roman tiles. Nave, north tower, north porch, north east chapel, wide south aisle and south chapel, chancel. Decorated style north doorway, Perpendicular style, mostly of Cl9. Nave has 3-light Clg west window with hood mould and relieving arch, west gable end of south aisle has similar 4-light window of different C19 date, plinth, cill string course, kneelers and cross finials to gables, weathered angle buttresses; north side of nave has 2 late C18 stone monuments with carved Ionic pilasters and pediments, C19 gargoyle on eaves cornice and stack, small C20 flat-roofed addition. 3-stage tower has random sandstone rubble at first stage, coursed above, angle buttresses rising to first stage, diagonal buttresses above rising to pinnacles; south west stair turret with lancets, mask corbels and stone pyramidal roof, stones inset at top with bead mouldings, probably C19 rebuilding; 2nd stage north has cusped lancet and clock, string course above, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-openings with louvres and sandstone relieving arches, moulded string with gargoyles, embattled parapet with image niche to east. 2-storey gabled porch has pointed arched door with convex and concave mouldings, small paired lancets above with cusped heads and hood mould, small diagonal buttresses. North chapel in C15 Perpendicular style, same stonework as base of tower, has 3-light C19 east window and lancet above, similar north window, plinth, weathered angle buttresses, cornice with 2 gargoyles to north, shallow pitch to east gable end, embattled parapet with north east pinnacle. 4-bay south aisle has three 3-light C19 windows and one 2-light, weathered buttresses, plinth and eaves cornice with gargoyles. One-bay south chapel has 3-light south window of C19 with 4-centred arched head, 3-light east window with pointed arch and hood mould, cross finial. Chancel has east window of 4 lancets, 2 central lancets taller, hood mould, round- headed north priest's door with convex moulding, formerly north window, relieving arch remaining. Interior: nave has 11-bay C19 roof of principal rafters, arched- brace and collar, wall plate; tall pointed arch to tower with 2 broad concave mouldings to jambs and 2 convex mouldings to arch, C19 screen doors with C20 upper glazing, tall pointed arch to north chapel with similar narrower mouldings to jambs, 2 narrower stepped convex mouldings to arch; north rood stair has glazed lower opening, upper door with hollow-chamfered surround and 4-centred arch, stone newel stair in wall; 4-bay south arcade has piers with plinth, 2 concave mouldings each side, pointed arches with 2 convex mouldings; wide pointed arch to chancel with similar mouldings. Tower has Perpendicular image niche to south, 4-centred arched west door to tower (blocked), tall pointed arch to chapel with similar mouldings to nave arch, C20 glazed screen. Porch has ceiled roof (as tower) stone benches, surround to door with thin mouldings, ogee gable with pinnacles left and right, tower wall cut back to accommodate doorway, heavy moulded string to each side, C19 doors. North chapel formerly had wider east window, moulded head remaining above C19 surround. South aisle has similar C19 11-bay roof, pointed arch to south chapel as in south arcade; south chapel has C19 common rafter roof with collars and braces, stone shelf on south wall, similar pointed arch to chancel; chancel has similar 4-bay Cl9 roof. Fittings: font in nave has circular bowl on circular base with 4 attached demi-shafts; late C19 stone pulpit in south aisle; Royal Arms in tower, erected by church wardens Thomas Wight Preston and John Fear, 1818; hatchment recording gifts to parish in tower; C18 hatchment with pediment recording Mrs. Lyde's gifts, 1772; board recording grant from Incorporated Society for Church Building, 1848. In nave, stone monument with carved Ionic pilasters and broken pediment, to Elizabeth Adams, 1768; marble tablet with draped urn, to John Kernan, 1804, by Foster of Bristol; marble tablet, name illegible, 1778; marble tablet with draped urn, to Alexander Adams 1811, by Lancaster of Bristol. 4 fine monuments in north chapel: marble monument with pilasters on gadrooned plinth, segmental pediment and antlered deer crest, to Annamaria Lyde, 1729/30, by Michael Sidnell; similar stone monument on brackets with cherubs and broken segmental pediment, to Cornelius Lyde, 1717, by Sidnell; similar marble monument, to James Lyde, 1731, by Sidnell; marble monument with pediment and fluted finial, to Michael Foster, 1763. South aisle has marble tablet, to James Williams, 1795, by Tyley of Bristol; marble tablet to Joseph Bush, 1824, by H. Wood of Bristol; marble sarcophagus tablet, to Elizabeth Visme, 1828; stone and marble monument with cherub, upper part missing, to James Hopkins, 1730. South chapel has stone monument with carved Ionic pilasters, cherubs, flowers and broken pediment, to Samuel Prigg, vicar, died 1739/40, erected by his grandson 1777. Chancel has slate and marble monument to Peter Coates, 1791, by Jones and Co., Bristol; 2 marble tablets by Hird of Bristol, to Peter Coates, 1831 and Rebecca Coates, 1817. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5978163128
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing