Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136240

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: DOWER HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of DOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136240 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 09:16:39.


Statutory Address: DOWER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stoke Gifford

National Grid Reference: ST 62233 77251


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/14 Dower House

G.V. II*

Country house, now hospital. Circa 1760, may include elements of C16 manor house, altered c.1800. James Paty, perhaps following Thomas Wright of Durham. Roughcast, coped and battlemented parapets. H-plan. South elevation, 3 storeys, 5 windows in centre, 3 in wings which terminate in canted bays, windows altered, mainly to glazing bar sashes, between wings, ground floor only comes forward with glazed colonnade under pierced battlements, plat and cill bands between ground and first floors. Return elevation west has 6 very plain and altered bays, middle 3 recessed, ground floor retains 3 original glazing bar sashes, battlemented parapet. Return elevation east: 7 very plain bays, all glazing bar sashes under keystones, plat and cill bands, battlements. North (entrance) elevation; as south with Gothic porch of c.1800, painted Berkeley motto 'Mihi Vobisque'and 2 C20 fire escapes. Interior: 3 rooms with plasterwork attributed to Thomas Stocking remain: east corner room has a screen of Doric columns, entablature has masks, ox-skulls and trophies, the ceiling has a central feature of 4 Bacchanalion figures, around this, a band is crossed and surrounded by roses, this motif is expanded in the bay where there is an elaborate flower basket; the central eastern room was formerly a music room, the delicate ceiling includes violin, pipes of Pan and a recorder; the south octagonal room has a complete suite of moulded and fielded panelled doors with eared architraves, shutters and reveals and a bolection moulded fireplace with floral swags; the large cantilevered open well staircase has a heavily moulded handrail and thin turned balusters, early C19 plasterwork has Greek key roundel. Built for Norborne Berkeley, the house passed at his death in 1770 to the Beauforts and was the dower house to Badminton until 1907. (Atkyns, History of Gloucestershire, 1712: J. Jancar, Research at Stoke Park, 1981: D. Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6223377251


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35041

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Atkyn, R, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, (1712)
Jancar, J, Research at Stoke Park, (1981)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

End of official listing