LOGGIA AT SOUTH END OF BROAD WALK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136308

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: LOGGIA AT SOUTH END OF BROAD WALK, EAST GARDEN TO HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOGGIA AT SOUTH END OF BROAD WALK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:10:11.

Location

Statutory Address: LOGGIA AT SOUTH END OF BROAD WALK, EAST GARDEN TO HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Eaton

National Grid Reference: SJ 41526 60503

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4160 EATON C.P. EAST GARDEN TO HALL Eaton Park

9/85 Loggia at south end of Broad Walk

GV II

Loggia, probably circa 1880, by Alfred Waterhouse for 1st Duke of Westminster. Buff and red sandstone. 3 round arches between Ionic columns. A blank round arch at each end is flanked by Ionic pilasters. A full entablature. Simple iron railings to central bay, with double gates, enclose a Roman altar dedicated by the XX Legion to the Nymphs and Springs (found in 1821 at a spring near Boughton Cross which served Deva, and brought to Eaton in 1822). The Loggia, with 2 reconstructed Roman columns (q.v.), was incorporated in Detmar Blow's redesign of the east garden (1911) as the southern terminal of the main cross axis; it had replaced a Gothick temple (1822) designed by William Cole to house the altar (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ4152760504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55281

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

End of official listing