CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1136639

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 02:32:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Saighton

National Grid Reference: SJ 43767 60548

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 PW SAIGHTON C.P. CHAPEL LANE (East side)

3/28 Church of St Mary the Virgin

1/6/1967 II*

Church with late Cll or early C12 chancel arch and, probably, masonry in nave and chancel; C14 and C15 windows; south chapel late C15; belfry, south porch, vestry and general restoration 1896 by W M Boden at expense of 1st Duke of Westminster. Squared, roughly coursed red sandstone in large blocks; slate roof; oak-framed, louvred west belfry on ridge with low, square shingled spire. Aisleless nave and chancel; four-centred archway from nave to chapel of 1 bay. Each respond of the chancel arch has 3 attached shafts, the outer two linked by 4 single beakheads which suggest Norse influence; the south capital has crudely carved foliage and faces - the north respond was renewed 1896. On the face to the nave of the porch arch (rebuilt probably C14) are 4 carved voussoirs with motifs probably derived from Norse sun symbols and from Romanesque palmettes. The font is a stone baluster with hollowed trough, probably C17. A pair of marble monuments stand in the south chapel: to Sir Robert Cunliffe, 1778, right, signed by Joseph Nollekens, with a seated putto holding a portrait medallion against a dark grey obelisk; to Sir Ellis Cunliffe, 1769, left, matching Sir Robert, but with a standing putto. Good stained glass, 1897, in the manner of the Arts and Crafts movement, in a plain inserted 3-light north window (Nave).

Listing NGR: SJ4376760548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55367

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing