CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1136680
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, KENN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:28:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, KENN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kenn
National Grid Reference:
ST 41593 68975

Details

KENN C.P. KENN STREET (south side) ST 46 NW 5/40 Church of St. John The Evangelist 11.10.61

G.V. II*

Parish church. Tower said to be of Norman origin, chancel c. 1300, south door of C15, rest mostly C19 rebuilding and restoration. Rubble, limestone dressings and quoins, plain tiled roofs with raised coped verges and crestings, stepped stone pyrammidal roof to tower (of later construction). West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular style, mostly of C19. Tower in one stage, has battered walls, pointed arched lancets at top all sides except east, 2 lower lancets to west, lowest one with scalloped stonework at head, roof has fleur de lys at corners and cross finial. 2-bay nave has to north two 3-light C19 windows with hood mould and mask stops, 2 similar windows to south and central gabled porch with cross finial, moulded stilted arched opening with hood mould and mask stops, lancet to each side, roof of common rafters, arched- braces, collar and collar purlin, similar inner door opening with Perpendicular style double doors with raised fillets and studs. Chancel has 2-light east window with cusped ogee heads and Y-tracery, pointed arch and relieving arch, 2-light south window with cusped ogee heads, cusped upper tracery, square head and stopped hood mould, blocked priest's door with 4-centred arched head, cross finial. Vestry has 2-light trefoil-headed window in gable end to north, pointed segmental-headed door to right in lean-to and similar door to left. Interior: low pointed arched opening to tower with blocked circular opening above; nave has roof of common rafters, arched-braces, collars and collar purlin, at junction with chancel, shafts to sides with foliate capitals, chancel has roof of similar construction divided into 3 bays, principal arched-braces rising from foliate corbels on masks, moulded principals with carved bosses at junctions, some possibly re-used. Nave has pointed segmental upper head to south door, chancel has C19 stone reredos and wide pointed arch to vestry; vestry has common rafter and collar roof. Fittings: C19 stone pulpit on marble colonnettes in nave; C19 pews in chancel with poppy-head bench-ends; octagonal stone font in nave on circular stem with 4 shafts, possible C14. Monuments in nave: tablet to Sir Nicholas Staling, gentleman usher at court of Elizabeth I, with shield of arms, 1605; monument to Sir Christopher Kenn, 1593 with 3 kneeling figures above a semi-reclining female figure; C16, C17 and C18 ledger stones in porch. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4159368975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33705
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01133/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].