CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1136776

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136776 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:34:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Nailsea

National Grid Reference: ST 47183 70789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NAILSEA C.P. CHRISTCHURCH ROAD (north side) ST 47 SE 4/53 Christ Church G.V. II

Parish church. 1843 by Scott and Moffat, with C20 addition. Coursed sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, C20 addition in reconstructed stone with asbestos slate roof. Nave, south porch, north vestry, chancel and north organ chamber. Designed in the Commissioners' tradition, Early English style. 5-bay nave has pointed arched west door with surround of 2 chamfered orders, paired jamb shafts and hood mould with ballflower stops, large triple lancet above with engaged shafts to sides of lights, central light taller, similar hood mould and stops, string course raised above door to cill of window, weathered angle buttresses; bellcote with pointed arched openings, jamb shafts and buttresses, blind trefoil in gable; to north, 4 paired lancets with continuous cill string and hood mould, broken by buttresses, bay to east has single storey gabled vestry with 2-light casement and door, plinth; to south a paired lancet to west, 2nd bay has gabled porch with 2-light trefoil- headed window to each side, pointed arched door in surround of 2 chamfered orders single jamb shafts and similar hood mould, cross finial; attached to porch, single storey C20 addition for church rooms; 3 further bays to east as at north. 2-bay chancel, lower than nave, 2 lancets to south and one to north, plinth, cill string and continuous hood mould, 3-light east window, triple lancet with hood mould, stops and cill string, angle buttresses; organ chamber attached to north has chancel string courses continued over pointed arched door and lancets. Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, arched braces rising from stone corbels, collar, queen-posts and braces to upper collar; C20 gallery across west end and pointed segmental-headed door to vestry. High pointed chamfered arch to chancel with upper inner order springing from corbels, chancel has similar 4-bay roof, central truss with pendants to vertical members. Fittings: panelled wooden reredos in chancel, hexagonal carved wooden pulpit in nave, stone octagonal font in nave on stem with 4 shafts, brass candelabra in nave. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4718370789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33718

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing