This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CARDINGTON NUMBER 2 SHED AT RAF CARDINGTON

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CARDINGTON NUMBER 2 SHED AT RAF CARDINGTON

List entry Number: 1136810

Location

CARDINGTON NUMBER 2 SHED AT RAF CARDINGTON, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Eastcotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/03/2013

TL 04 NE 179/3/69 29.01.1982

EASTCOTTS HIGH ROAD Cardington No.2 shed at RAF Cardington

II*

Airship hangar. 1928. By the Cleveland Bridge Co. of Darlington, built for the purpose of housing the Rl00 airship which had been constructed by the Airship Guarantee Co at Howden and arrived at Cardington in December 1929. Dimensions 812' x 275' x 180'. The shed is an enlarged version of that built at Pulham in Norfolk in 1916 for coastal airships and then transferred to Cardington in 1928. 29 bays of steel framing with double side aisles used as workshop annexes and huge central nave. Clad in corrugated steel sheeting. Enormous doors moved by electric motors at the W End, opening to the full height and width of the nave.

HISTORY: This is one of only three airship hangars in Britain to have survived from the period up to 1918. It was resited and extended for the purpose of constructing and housing the Vickers-designed R100 airship in 1928, and with Number One Shed comprises a uniquely important testament to airship technology and its political context in Europe.

Despite the use of balloons as aerial observation platforms during the Napoleonic Wars and especially the American Civil War, it was not until 1879 that the Royal Engineers formed a Balloon Equipment Store at Woolwich Arsenal, which was subsequently moved to Chatham (1882) and then Aldershot (1890). Its operational and training units were combined as the Balloon School in April 1906, the same year witnessing the construction of the army's first airship shed at the Balloon School's new factory at Farnborough (demolished 1965) and in 1910-11 the erection of two more airship sheds (moved to Kingsnorth and demolished c1930) adjacent to a new Portable Airship Shed. The latter, a canvas-covered shed comprising in section a parabolic arch made up of rivetted box-section lattice units, was dismantled and now survives in two halves, the bottom half in a fabric shop and the upper half in a forge and foundry building: both of these buildings, erected in 1916-17 for the Aircraft Factory at Farnborough, are now listed grade II (as Buildings Q27 and Q25). Despite the fact that the country's total of 6 airship sheds had increased to 61 by November 1918 (a reflection of the strategic importance that the Admiralty in particular accorded to airships as a deterrent to the U-boat menace in Home Waters), only the examples at Farnborough (split in half as two factory buildings in 1916) and at Cardington (No 1 Shed) - which include the resited hangar from Pulham in Norfolk incorporated into No 2 Shed - have survived. The resited elements of the shed from Mullion in Cornwall, now resited and functioning as a bus garage in Padstow, is not listable. East Fortune, south of Edinburgh, has the most significant survival in Britain of technical buildings associated with an airship station.

Number One Shed is the only in situ example of an airship shed to have survived from the period up to 1918. It was constructed for the Admiralty as a 700ft hangar for the accommodation of the airships R31 and R32. Ramsey McDonald's government, which first came to office in early 1924, envisaged the production of airships for imperial commerce as a mix of both public and private enterprise: the decision was consequently made to build two airships of 5,000,000 cubic foot capacity. This was a project which seized the popular imagination, R100, built under contract with Vickers (who had been formerly involved in airship construction in Britain), being popularly known as 'the capitalist ship' and R101, built by the Royal Airship Works, as 'the socialist ship'. After 1926 the works on this site resulted from the Government authorisation of the projects for the R100 and R101 airships, which were to be used for an Empire-wide travel service. This shed was enlarged to a length of 812ft and heightened by 35ft to take the R101 in 1926/7, Number Two Shed comprising a shed brought to the site from Pulham in Norfolk and then extended to its required length. The sheds are both 180ft high.

After the R101 disaster of October 1930, when the airship crashed on its maiden voyage en route to India (its 48 dead including Sir Sefton Branker, the then Secretary of State for Air) the British government - under considerable economic pressure - terminated its support for the airship programme. The R100 - which had made a successful return flight to Canada - was broken up inside the No 1 Shed and sold for scrap in 1931. Cardington's fortunes revived after the formation of Balloon Command in November 1938, when it became the RAF's principal (barrage) balloon operations training centre.





Listing NGR: TL0818346760

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 08183 46760

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:27:19.

End of official listing