This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH HALL, GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND THE HEARSE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH HALL, GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND THE HEARSE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1136913

Location

CHURCH HALL, GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND THE HEARSE HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tarvin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55755

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET (East Side)

2/51 Church Hall, Grammar school House and the Hearse House (formerly listed as School to N. adjacent to church). 1/3/1967

GV II

Formerly grammar school, schoolmaster's house and hearse house, now church hall and 2 cottages: school 1666 founded by John Pickering, renovated 1845 for Rev Bowstead (Ormerod), much of remainder C18, including hearse house that was reconstructed here, after removal from next to south porch of church post 1791 (see plan in church). Some ashlar buff sandstone, remainder orange brick, Welsh slate roof and 2 brick chimneys. 1 and 2 storey 10-bay south front. Left end is former hearse house, partly in stone. Gable end has wide entrance with an arched lintel with a channelled key block. 2-bay brick structure next. Central 3 bays of former school with tall C17 chamfered stone plinth. Remainder in brick with 3 3-light casements with glazing bars. Adjacent schoolmaster's house with casements with glazing bars and door, under segmental brick heads. Lower 2-bay cottage at right end.

The celebrated penman John Thomasen (died 1740), transcriber for Queen Anne, was master here till his death, see memorial in south porch of church.

Listing NGR: SJ4917166978

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49171 66978

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1136913 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:22:39.

End of official listing