FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO RHEDA MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137442

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO RHEDA MANSION

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO RHEDA MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137442 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:04:28.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLE BLOCK TO RHEDA MANSION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland (District Authority)

Parish: Arlecdon and Frizington

National Grid Reference: NY0244416869

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 01 NW 5/95 ARLECTON AND FRIZINGTON Former Stable Block to Rheda Mansion (Sometimes known as Rheda)

II Former stable block with accommodation; it served Rheda but has itself at times been known as Rheda. Derelict at time of inspection (May 1989). 1887, built for Thomas Dixon, barrister and later (1903) High Sheriff of Cumberland. Snecked sandstone ashlar; slate gable-end roofs. Built in a Cumbrian Baronial-Revival style complete with pele tower. Courtyard plan, entrance range (with 'pele tower') to W, house and accommodation to S, stables and ancillary buildings to N, other service and storage blocks to E (partially ruinous). Entrance front: large gateway, with pedestrian gate to left, both under depressed moulded arches set into a short stretch of curtain wall between pele (to the left) and house (to right); pele stands well forward with small 2-light windows under flat arches; curved stair turret and corbelled projection at parapet level to frontwall, corner turret to rear overlooking entrance, all in a convincing C16 style. 2 gable ends to house, one projecting, the other set well back, with 2 and 3-light mullioned windows under flat arches. A small single storeyed range with 3-light window under a gable, to the left of the pele, makes the return to the varied and well managed N (stable) elevation; here are numerous roof lines, recessions and projections, corbelled kneelers and heavy coping, 1 and 2-light flat-headed windows, and a large ridge stack; S (house) elevation, also markedly asymmetrical, with 2 gables (with heavy coping and corbelled kneelers), are featuring a corbelled canted oriel; mullioned windows under flat arches. Courtyard: similar varied treatment of elevations; stable block with central wing, much corbelling, 2 and 3-light windows with transoms; doorways with depressed late-Gothic arches with overlight; planked doors with strap hinges. Inner elevation of S range includes a polygonal wing under hipped roof with a recessed drinking fountain. Here and elsewhere are some re-used C18 datestones. Internally; the stables retain their stalls with turned balusters and ball revels, planked partitions surmounted by iron grilles with ramped rail. Overall, a carefully designed, coherent and dramatic composition with good detailing: architect not known.

Listing NGR: NY0244416869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 76194

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing