PARK HOUSE (CHESHIRE HOME FOR THE DISABLED), AMPTHILL PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137595

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE (CHESHIRE HOME FOR THE DISABLED), AMPTHILL PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK HOUSE (CHESHIRE HOME FOR THE DISABLED), AMPTHILL PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 03:44:05.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE (CHESHIRE HOME FOR THE DISABLED), AMPTHILL PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ampthill

National Grid Reference: TL 02670 39058

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 774 Park House (Cheshire Home for Disabled), Ampthill Park TL 0239 5/2 17.7.51

II*

2. Mansion built in 1694 for John, First Baron Ashburnham. Main block, originally brick, of 3 storeys below a modillion cornice. Tiled mansard roof with square dormers. 11 windows the central 3 in slight projection beneath pediment. Widely splayed perron leads up to classical doorway in centre of the piano nobile. In continuation of this storey run pilastered wings connecting 2 rectangular blocks (4 windows by 4 windows) also of only 2 storeys and beneath (later) hipped slate roofs, standing forward of the main block. Early parts by Captain Wynn, designer of original Buckingham House. Influence, if not authorship, of Wren, who was engaged on work in Ampthill, is apparent. (All Souls drawing 1.84 reproduced in Wren Society, Vol XII, p1 XIV, strongly resembles). Chambers remodelled the side blocks, adding a 3-sided bay to the outer flank of north-east block, and much of the main block, encasing the whole house in stucco. VCH page 27O. Lady Holland, Whig political and literary hostess, lived here 1818-45.

Listing NGR: TL0267039058

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37308

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 270
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

End of official listing