CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137608.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 17:36:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 46586 66979
ST 46 NE BROCKLEY
6/43 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS 11.10.61 G.V. II*
Parish Church (Anglican). C12 altered C13 to, C15; altered c. 1820-30 for the Smyth-Pigott family. West tower, nave, south porch; north and south chapels; chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; lead roofs. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet with pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with trefoil-headed lights; 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround and hoodmould with lozenge stops; projecting polygonal stair tower to north-east, embattled parapet. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped heads to the tracery, square hoodmould. South porch and chapel share a single pitched roof with carved demi- figures as kneelers; 3-light windows with cusped ogee heads to the chapel; double ogee moulded surround to outer doorway; blocked east window to chapel and doorway with a brick ogee head. Chancel: 2 lancet windows, one with a cinquefoil head; 2-light Perpendicular style east window with cusped ogee heads. The north chapel has an early C19 4-light window. South doorway is early - mid C12 but probably re-cut: thin columns with square scalloped capitals and zigzag moulded arch. Interior. Tower arch of 2 wave moulding. Double chamfered arches to north and south chapels. Font, C12, circular bowl with small, blank arches, fluted underside. Pulpit; in a highly elaborate Perpendicular style; ashlar; blank panels of 2-lights with cusped heads; decorative base of foliage and quatrefoil bands, panelled stem; 3 friezes with quatrefoils and foliage; elaborate vaulted canopy with cusping and pinnacles. Behind the pulpit is a moulded doorway with a 4-centred head. In the chancel immediately west of the east windows are 2 square corbels, possibly for lenten purposes. Box pews; Gothick to the chancel. Gothick fireplace to the south of Pigott chapel, with pinnacles and Pigott arms. Reredos: in an elaborate Perpendicular style of 1820-30, quatrefoils, cusped ogee panels and canopy, pinnacles. Chandelier brass, probably early - mid C18. Glass, particularly by W.R. Eginton c.1824-29 for J.H. Smyth - Pigott. Chancel: east window, S.S. Peter and Paul with the Holy Spirit as a dove; north-east window, St. Nicholas and a kneeling child; north-west window, 2 nimbed bishops; south-west window, an ecclesiastic wearing a skull cap, probably Thomas Coward; south-east window, Edward the Confessor, the head is by R. Bell. Pigott chapel: Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham flank Edward I, heraldry above. Nave: Archbishop Chichele, William of Wykeham and Thomas Mowbray with heraldry above. Monuments. Nave: 3 funeral hatchments of Pigott family dated 1727, 1794 and 1816; Royal Arms of 1842. Pigott chapel: Colonel John Pigott, probably c.1790 with dates of 1730, 1794 and later, coloured marbles, inscribed plaque with an urn and the Pigott arms; J. Pigott, died 1811, inscribed marble plaque, weeping woman and an urn; Wadham Pigott, died 1823, by Chantrey; inscribed marble plaque, kneeling woman, draped urn on a pedestal and the profiles of Pigott. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830, 1946).
Listing NGR: ST4658666979
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing