This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DUKE'S BRIDGE OVER KENDAL/LANCASTER CANAL 170 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF TOWNEND FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DUKE'S BRIDGE OVER KENDAL/LANCASTER CANAL 170 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF TOWNEND FARM

List entry Number: 1137627

Location

DUKE'S BRIDGE OVER KENDAL/LANCASTER CANAL 170 METRES EAST NORTH EAST OF TOWNEND FARM, A6070

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beetham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 58SW BEETHAM A6070 (off West side) Farleton

4/21

Duke's Bridge over Kendal/Lancaster Canal 170m East- North-east of Townend Farm

II

Canal bridge c.1816. Probably by John Fletcher, engineer, from the original designs of John Rennie whose route for the canal was authorised in 1792. Squared, coursed limestone with limestone string and copings and rounded fender course. Elliptical arch, with rusticated voussoirs and keystone, over canal and towpath; smaller arch with similar details over cattle creep to East. Shallow-arched parapets, curved in plan, continuing into retaining walls terminated by pilasters. Steps up to roadway at South-west corner. Approx. 6m wide between parapets. The bridge is a particularly fine example on this stretch of the canal and takes its name from the Duke of Cumberland Public House which formerly stood at the crossroads to the East of it.

Listing NGR: SD5323880768

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD5323880768

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:00:11.

End of official listing