FLITWICK MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1137690
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1985
Statutory Address:
FLITWICK MANOR, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:28:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
FLITWICK MANOR, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Flitwick
National Grid Reference:
TL 02915 34173

Details

FLITWICK

TL 0234 CHURCH ROAD

16/26 Flitwick Manor 22.10.52 (formerly listed as Manor House)

GV II*

House. Original structure built earlier C17, probably for Edward Blofield. Reworked c.1736, extended late C18 and at various dates in C19. Some reworking 1936 by Sir Albert Richardson. E block is c.1736 of red brick with some vitrified headers, encasing the C17 structure. Later additions also in variety of red brick. 1872 addition of colourwashed concrete blocks. Clay tile roofs. Complex plan, original 2-storeyed block running N-S, with later additions of varying heights to NW, SW and SE angles. E elevation, RH part: 6-bay facade in slightly irregular arrangements. Tall panelled parapet in front of steep-pitched hipped roof. 5 flush sashes per floor, all with glazing bars, under gauged brick flat arches. First floor 2nd bay has blind window. Parapet panels continue the window arrangement. Doorway to ground floor 2nd bay. 6-moulded-panel door in moulded surround with open pediment on cut brackets. Brick bands at first floor and eaves level. Substantial C17 red brick ridge stack of 4 linked square-section shafts. E elevation LH part: reworked and extended late C18 and C19, to form pair of projecting gables. RH gable retains C18 work at junction with main elevation, the front part of the gable being of later C19 chequered brick. Flush sashes to earlier part, sash in reveals to later part, all with glazing bars. LH gable, apparently late C18, has blind window to each floor. Its S elevation has 2- storeyed canted bay, with sashes with glazing bars under gauged brick flat heads. N elevation: 2 storeys and attics. Mansard roof behind plain parapet. Centre of wall partly rebuilt 1936. Sash windows with glazing bars, 4 to ground floor, 5 to first floor. First floor ones are flush sashes under gauged brick flat heads. LH one narrower than others. Ground floor ones C19 under cambered heads. Attic has 3 box dormers with 3-light leaded casements. Integral brick stacks and brick coping to both gables. S elevation: 1872 qabled addition has canted bay to ground floor, tripartite sash with glazing bars to first floor, and pierced decorative bargeboards. SW block: now dining room, retains original 2-light Gothick window to E gable attic. Others replaced with Venetian windows in 1936. Interior: main block entrance hall has inglenook fireplace served by the C17 stack, and C17 half-height panelling. Main block RH ground floor room has mid C18 panelling and moulded cornice. Plainer panelling to room above. Ground floor SE room (with canted bay) has late C18 Adam style decoration with pilasters and cornice. Fairly plain C18 and C19 staircases.

(Bedfordshire Record office: LL 17/284, "Flitwick House, its Gardens, Grounds etc", notebook with sketches, 1838 by J T Brooks; CRT 130 Fli 14, notes on Flitwick House, now called Flitwick Manor.)

Listing NGR: TL0291534173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38013
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04910/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Newton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].